Stop loss retroactive pay

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Well, back in June the DoD was allotted money to pay back vets that were stop-lossed any time after 9/11. Any word beyond that on how to apply for it?

AlanSVT

Established Member
Not sure if this is the info you are talking about.

From Dfas.
Stop-Loss Special Pay is authorized by Public Law 110-329 for members involuntarily extended beyond their Expiration Term of Service (ETS) or retirement date.

Involuntarily extended members receive $500 per month for each month or portion of a month the member is retained on active duty as a result of stop-loss authority. The entitlement is retroactive to October 2008.

This new entitlement is currently slated for disbursement through September 30, 2009. The Army is currently the only service paying the entitlement.

Stop-Loss Pay is eligible for the Combat Zone Tax Exclusion if the member is in a combat zone tax excluded area in a month that the Stop-Loss Special Pay is earned. DFAS-Indianapolis coordinated with G1 of three components, Active, Reserve and National Guard, in developing a process to pay the new entitlement. Army G1 provides a listing by component to DFAS each month containing the names of Soldiers entitled to receive Stop-Loss Pay. DFAS-Indianapolis then posts the entitlements to the entitled Soldier's pay account.

Nearly 30,000 Army members have received payments for this special pay. Checks were sent to the addresses of record to those soldiers who were entitled on or after October 1, 2008, but have since separated from the service.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Not sure if this is the info you are talking about.

From Dfas.

No, i think the OP is talking about the other retroactive stop loss pay that covers from 11 Sep 2001- 30 Sep 2008. The one you quoted covers stop loss from 1 Oct 2008- Feb 2009 From my understanding the newest back pay was signed by Congress and Obama on either June or July 24th. Congress has 120 days from the date of signing to appropriate the funds through DFAS which would put it at a late October or late November time frame. the payments will be made by DFAS, kind of like the other stop loss checks we got earlier in the year, and to my knowledge, DFAS will send a letter and you have to apply to receive additional stop loss retro pay in which time you will have one year to do so. You can call DFAS and they will tell you the details minus an exact hit date, since no one knows for sure when (or if the money is even there) and if you do call DFAS you must make sure that you clarify the time frame starting on 9/11 and not the October 08 as they are two entirely different things.

Last edited:

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Heres an update:

Army says stop-loss back payments are set to begin | Stars and Stripes
Army says stop-loss back payments are set to begin
Soldiers with claims dating to 2001 may receive $500 for each month they were extended
By Jeff Schogol, Stars and Stripes
European edition, Friday, September 25, 2009

ARLINGTON, Va. — All soldiers who spent extra time on active duty because of stop loss since September 2001 will be eligible by for $500-per-month cash payouts that could begin arriving later this year, an Army compensation official said.

Earlier this year, the Army began compensating soldiers held under stop-loss since October 2008, but Congress has expanded the program to include all troops stop-lossed since September 2001.

Those eligible under the program can receive $500 for every month they were held beyond his or her initial end of obligated service, said Deborah Holman, deputy chief of compensation for Army G-1.

The Defense Department will issue implementing instructions for the new program on Oct. 21. The Army plans on setting up a Web site by November that will allow people to apply for the compensation, Holman said.

Stop loss allows the Defense Department to hold servicemembers beyond their separation or retirement date to complete their deployments. All of the services have used stop loss, but only the Army has continued to use it since 2003.

Roughly 185,000 servicemembers are eligible for the compensation. Of those the Army estimates about 136,000 are soldiers or family of deceased soldiers.

Current and former soldiers, as well as surviving spouses, can apply for the compensation. Holman said applicants must provide a servicemember’s DD-214, a copy of their contract, and proof that the soldier was stop-lossed.

Those eligible under the program have until Oct. 21, 2010, to apply, she said.

Congress allocated $534.4 million to the program in June, but the Defense Department may need about $600 million to make all the payouts, Holman said.

Of the remaining servicemembers who are eligible for compensation, about 39,000 are from the Air Force, 9,660 are from the Marines and 250 are from the Navy, officials said.

heres another link, way too long to cut/paste

http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2009/09/military_stop_loss_092809w/

Last edited:

Tractorman

Established Member
Copy of contract? Hope I can find that thing! And wouldn't my proof of stoploss be on my DD214?

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Copy of contract? Hope I can find that thing! And wouldn't my proof of stoploss be on my DD214?

Yes. I dont understand the whole contract thing either. But when you ETS under stop loss it will say down in the comments section of your DD-214 "retained in service xxx days at the Government convenience" But from what i am told now is that doesnt always just apply to stop lossed guys, it goes for med holdovers.

Tractorman

Established Member
Bumping to the top to see if people had the same issues that all of my stoplossed buddies were, which was that they said it doesn't match up,and a case manager needs to look them over.

More screwing around by our inefficient government.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Yup. we all got that message. They dont have the money to pay us, and instead of saying the real reason, they are going to blame us and say our dates and names dont match whats on our OMPF. Psh typical Gubment BS.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Dont expect to be getting money anytime soon, Rep Murtha has decided that us who were stop lossed arent deserving of getting paid at this time so of course, thanks to congress, we are gonna get ****ed. Again. All stop loss retro payments are now being halted.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Dont you get paid active duty pay while stoplossed anyways?

Yes, you still get your base pay. The point though is that they said that they were going to pay those who were stop lossed 500 a month for every month that they were extended beyond their ETS dates. And now that is going out the window. Funny how they coincide with this Health Care crap getting voted on.---------------- Now playing: Mayhem - Funeral Fog via FoxyTunes

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
I just got an Email from DA regarding my Stop Loss claim, they said it has been approved for the months i claimed and is being sent to DFAS. From what i have heard through IAVA's Facebook page, most people submitting Stop Loss claims that have gotten this email have contacted DFAS and were told they have either 20 days or 90 days to pay once the claim has been received by DFAS so who knows. If i get any more info ill post it up. I suggest you become a member on Facebook of IAVA if you have a stop loss claim or are an OIF/OEF veteran, they have been helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread