Storing the R

1Fast R

Question: We will be getting our new trailer in a few weeks and were wondering if it would be OK to store the R inside the trailer while the trailer is parked outside for the winter? What do you think?

Bill & Vicki

Andy M

Established Member
I am not a mechanic, but I have been around mechanics in my family since a very young age, and I have worked on my cars for as long as I can remember. Here is my take on this... someone who is more qualified can certainly step in?..

I don't think this is a problem if you take proper precautions:

1) drain the gas tank and/or put in a gasoline stabilizer/anti-freeze to prevent possible problems with the fuel system

2) tires - I would put it up on blocks if possible to prevent flatspotting the tires

3) oil - you might also consider draining the oil out of the crankcase ( just remember to fill it again in the springtime - DUH?!)

Only other thing to worry about is the potential for someone to come in and steal the entire rig - trailer AND R!! :( :cryying:

Anyone else have thoughts on this?..

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by 1Fast R
Question: We will be getting our new trailer in a few weeks and were wondering if it would be OK to store the R inside the trailer while the trailer is parked outside for the winter? What do you think?

Bill & Vicki

I keep one of my cars in the trailer as you described. I actually think it's a very good place to store it, with the wood floor you don't get the moisture sitting under the car like you can get from concrete. This is the second year of doing this and I have seen no problems.

Brian

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by 1Fast R

Bill & Vicki
Which trailer did you guys buy?? one from Haulmark possibly?? www.haulmark.com

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Just sure to protect your R from our furry little friends looking for a warm Winter home!!! :bash:

1Fast R

Thanks for the replies everyone! Hubby says that we will probably store the 69 in the trailer instead of the R anyhow.

I believe the trailer is an Interstate.

Vicki

95rcobra

Brimstone and Cobra-R,

I have what is called an autoshield. I bought it back in 1993 when I purchased my 1993 cobra. I have had my 93 cobra, 93 cobra r and current 95 cobra r stored in the autosheild. It is a 8 mil thick clear bag that is water and humidity resistant. It has a PVC frame that goes inside the bag for support. so it is like having a storage container inside your garage. It works great and I have kept all my cobras in perfect condition inside this autosheild. R-Code saw it when he purchased my 93 cobra r which was stored in it. the company was called BW incorporated out of I think was north dakota. I have not spoken to them in over 2 years so not sure of there status. It cost me around $400 for the whole setup and was worth every penny. I bought 2 new 8 mil bags about 2 years ago so I will have this setup for many years when the bag gets worn out. I replaced my first original Bag after 8 years of using it. Did not really need to but it had a few cuts in it and got a little worn out. If anyone is interested in getting one I will call them and find out if they are still selling them now. Let me know. Thanks Steve C.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by 95rcobra
Brimstone and Cobra-R,

I have what is called an autoshield. I bought it back in 1993 when I purchased my 1993 cobra. I have had my 93 cobra, 93 cobra r and current 95 cobra r stored in the autosheild. It is a 8 mil thick clear bag that is water and humidity resistant. It has a PVC frame that goes inside the bag for support. so it is like having a storage container inside your garage. It works great and I have kept all my cobras in perfect condition inside this autosheild. R-Code saw it when he purchased my 93 cobra r which was stored in it. the company was called BW incorporated out of I think was north dakota. I have not spoken to them in over 2 years so not sure of there status. It cost me around $400 for the whole setup and was worth every penny. I bought 2 new 8 mil bags about 2 years ago so I will have this setup for many years when the bag gets worn out. I replaced my first original Bag after 8 years of using it. Did not really need to but it had a few cuts in it and got a little worn out. If anyone is interested in getting one I will call them and find out if they are still selling them now. Let me know. Thanks Steve C.

Steve,
Thanks for the info. Does yours have a fan that circulates air around the car also?

I have only seen the ones offered by California car cover, they kinda inflate(for a lack of a better term) with a small fan with filtered air and keeps the bubble inflated. Is this on the order of what you are referring to?

Brian

95rcobra

Hey Brian,

What you are refering to is a storage system called the carcapsule or carcoon storage system. My system is different because there is no fan or electric hookup to be done. Just picture if you took the size of an enclosed 18ft trailer and took off the wheels so then it would be just the box trailer in your garage. now the frame of that box trailer is made up of PVC piping and goes inside the 8 MIL 18 ft bag. so what you have is a trailer made off PVC framing and a plastic clear 8 MIL bag that goes in your garage. the bag is waterproof, humidity proof and mold and mildew resistant. it works great with no extra cost of using electric. I have been using it since 1993 and It is the only storage system for me. I found the company's brochure last night and they are BW Incorporated and are located in Browns Valley, Minn. How far is that from you? I have a message on my machine to call the owner of this company so I guess he his still making them. I am going to call him after I get offline and find out what the latest prices are for single or group buys if some others are interested in getting one. I would recommend this product to anyone who has a rare or collectable vehicle that wants to keep in perfect condition through any climate changes. thanks. I will talk to you soon when I get some info. Later 95rcobra.

95rcobra

Hello R owners,

I just got off the phone with Jeff Backer in minnesota who owns the car care storage company BW Incorporated.
I wanted to get the latest pricing on the Autoshelds so if any R owners want to protect their car it can happen. I actually have a 15 ft bottom base autoshield and thought it was 17 ft. so the 15ft autosheild works quite well with any of our Cobra R models. there are 2 versions of the 15 ft autosheild. One is the standard and the other is the Bottom base version. Standard 15 ft does not have any PVC piping for the bottom section of the frame. so only the vertical PVC legs touch the floor inside the sheild. the 15 ft bottom base sheild has PVC piping all along the bottom of the frame on 3 sides except the opening where the car is driven in. the Standard 15ft autosheild will cost $299 and the 15ft Bottom Base autosheild will cost $349. all sheilds come with 9 lbs of Drypac for inside of car. BW Incorporated has just started to create websites and their first one is the Motorcycle site. they have the Car Care site coming in a few months. anyway you can go to the motorcycle site and go into Cylce Sheild section then hit the products page and you can see pretty much how these sheilds will work with cars and look like with these PVC frames. That site is www.motorcyclecaresecrets.com the 800# is on the site if anyone would like to get a 15 ft autosheild for their Cobra R. I have had mine since 1993 and would never think of storing my Cobra R without one. IF you think your car is Ok being stored just in your open garage think twice. too many elements there that you do not see which can hurt your investment. All of us R owners know that these cars are special vehicles and are rare. they will have great value in the car market for years to come. you should protect your investment and the value of it by using this storage systems. you will not be sorry and it will pay for itself. thanks Steve C.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Hey Steve, havent seen/spoke to ya in a while....guess ya sold/traded in the lightning and got the super-duty by now....we'll have to get together in a few months for a cruise....take the R's out of storage and tear up those back roads!!!! THINK SPRING!!!! :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

95rcobra

Hey Ken, How are you doing? Haven't talk to you in a while and yes I did sell my lightning and picked up the new '02 F250 SD SC SB Lariat V10. I truly enjoyed my lightning when I had it but this new SD takes it all. It looks great, rides like a limo and the v10 is so smooth. this is without a doubt the best truck I have owned yet. anyway I will be ready in a few short months to tear up those backroads in northwest jersey and lower ny state. Spring will be the best time around here for that country cruise. I will keep in touch and before long we will be taking that spring run. I am hoping to be in englishtown this summer on the new road course with my club the SCOA. Do you have any events planned there with the SVTOA. hopefully we will get to be down there together this year. I will talk to you soon. take care, Steve C.

Black99L

SVT FAN!
Established Member
Hey 95RCobra, Whats up? I have a quick question for ya.. I saw one of your posts a while back on F150 about your chrome 20's and I was just wondering if you sold them or not.. It was a few months back so Im sure you did, but I just thought Id ask since im looking to upgrade soon.. Thanks a lot and good luck with your new truck... Kyle

95rcobra

Hey KYLE,
Thanks for the good words on the new 2002 F250 SD V10. It is an awesome truck. Yes I have sold my 2000 Chrome lightning 20" wheels about 2 months ago to a guy in Texas. You are thinking about putting 20's on your L? If you do let me know because I can set you up with the place I got them from in California and save you some good cash on them. I see you are looking to do some performance mods on your L next. If you do any trans mods let me know because I am very good friends with Pat Barrett at Level 10 Trans and can get you set up with some great mods for the L at a good price. we are less than 1 hour away from you in Paramus. Good ol paramus how is going there. I went to high school there at P.C. and spent most of my time at Van Saun and Dunkerhook parks. good memories from there. keep in touch. thanks again Steve C.

Black99L

SVT FAN!
Established Member
Hey Steve,
Yea I am looking to upgrade to chrome 20's real soon.. I have a 3/3 drop on my truck, do you think there will be any mounting problems and will they make my truck sit higher or just fill in the wheel wells? Yea I am thinking about some performance mods also.. Nothing major, just something to maybe give her a little more pep... I dont go to the track or anything like that.
I live about 30 seconds from Van Sawn park. My friends and I used to go there often. Have you been to the Garden State Plaza lately? The place is HUGE... It takes hours to walk the entire mall. Anyway, thanks for the help and Ill talk to ya later,
Kyle

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
hey kyle, have you been to the wyckoff cruise night yet? well, nothing much going on now, but around april, a bunch of cars start showing up at the DMV parking lot on wyckoff ave, right behind the boulder run lot....tons of nice cars, mostly older rods, but a few cobras and lightnings there as well....i live in wyckoff, so i'm there as often as possible....i'll let ya know when they start showing up....i'd like to get a bunch of svt and ford guys there so we can show up the chevy's, lol....

95rcobra

Hey Kyle,
I do not think there will be any problems putting the 20's on your L with the lowering kit. If you run the 295-40-20 tires on the 20" wheels they are just slightly taller than the stock setup. I would check with some guys over a F150 online who I know have already done this with no problems. RTkilla is one guy that comes to mind over there who is running the chrome 20's with the lowering kit. I grew up 2 miles away from the Garden State Plaza in Fair Lawn and I pass by it very often when traveling to my wifes parents house in Edgewater. yes it is a huge mall but I am glad they finally got rid of the old RTE 4-17 intersection. that was a nightmare. I can never seem to get away from the Bergen County area considering I live an hour way from there. good luck. later 95rcobra.

Users who are viewing this thread