Straight pipes to Corsa extreme exhaust?

efnfast

Established Member
Right now my setup is stock manifolds, lethal off-road H and magnaflow competition exhaust (straight pipes)

I love loud - my 65 cobra has a built 408 w/ massive cam; my Z06 is longtubes straight pipes, etc. - but this setup is starting to get on my nerves, I think because of how loud it is and the raspy pitch of it.

I love how it sounds over 3K RPM and all of the decel popping it makes at any RPM when I let off the gas. And going through tunnels!

I don't like how at 2K RPM it makes a horrible loud rasp, cruising on the highway is either 6th gear drone or loud 5th gear rawwwwr, and at certain RPM it sounds more like a pickup truck w/ a broken muffler.

Has anybody gone from straight pipes to Corsa extrmes? if so, how's the decel popping rasp and overall loudness? I was reading some threads where people say extremes are loud, and others saying extremes are too quiet.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Corsa xtremes are the way to go, the magnaflow muffler delete axle back sounds like shit IMO unless you're running the stock mid pipes.
Here's my old setup, ARH headers/OFR H-pipe and corsa xtremes

efnfast

Established Member
Do you get a lot of decel popping with the corsas - hard to tell from the video.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
Given you have an H-Pipe different mufflers might help the raspy sound. Regarding the quite common deccel popping which many guys like ....Lund advised me that's a product of custom tune + free flowing exhaust where unburned fuel ignites and pops . They corrected it by tweaking my tune with "Hang Timing". This adds a bit of timing only on deccel until the car returns to idle. I can now deccel thru a gear from any rpm and popping is gone. The only drawback is when rolling up on a light or intersection the idle stays up around 12-1300 as I'm free rolling in...then within 5 seconds it drops to 950rpm idle. On a highway I feel no consequences of this tune tweak when I lift off the gas.

efnfast

Established Member
Ordered a set of Corsa Xremes and finally got around to installing them. I can definitely now say that straight pipes (off-road H w/ Magnaflow Competition) sound like shit on the 5.8.

Setup is still oem manifolds with lethal off-road H pipe.

Fitment
Magnaflow fitment was horrible. The passenger side fit but I spent 5hrs on the driver side and it fit like shit; I'm certain the hangers are welded in the wrong spot and have to be re-welded. Corsa's fit perfectly on both sides with minimal effort (I was surprised given the directions say they're only for a 13/14 GT ... guess exhaust fitment is the same)

Idle
Magnaflow are loud but high pitched and always gave me a headache. Corsa's are perfect but not high pitched, no headache.

Cruising
Mangnaflow is horrible drone unless you keep the rpm at/beneath 1,600RPM (in which case you're out of gear and can't do anything). Corsa's have no drone, just loud exhaust bark

Low RPM (<2500)
Magnaflow sound like a broken pickup truck with a horrible (horrible, even though I'm using H and not X pipe) rasp at 2,000 RPM. Corsa's sound perfect ... loud muscle car sound, no rasp at 2,000 RPM, but exhaust bark

Medium/High rpm (>2500)
Both are awesome

Decel Popping
I'm pretty sure I lost a little bit of down-low decel popping with the Corsas, but at medium/higher rpm it's still there, so Magnaflow slightly better in this regard I think.

Conclusion - I love loud but pure straight pipes on a 5.8 sound like shit.

edit: I've got nothing against Magnaflow ... love the setup on my 04 cobra ... it's not their fault straight pipes sound like shit on the 5.8

Users who are viewing this thread