Straight pipes?

96Creeper

Featured Rcoupe
Established Member
has anyone ever heard of putting straight pipes on a 96-98 cobra? i was wondering what it sounds like, and what it does for performance. any sound clips would be awsome! thanks

joec

Established Member
i ran straight pipes for a couple weeks. it sounded good IMO until you let off the gas while the engine was still warming up. there was a lot of popping. but once the engine warmed up, it still popped when you let off the gas, but not as bad as when the engine was cold.

openroadracer

Dyslexic if you're honk..
Established Member
letting off of the gas....

yeah, that's really when it will sound bad. it will pop bad and backfire too. ( i had a 95 AODE GT with O/R X and flows that would backfire downshifting into 2nd and sounded like a 20 gauge)(that used to make the brutha's duck for cover at the bus stops!!!)..... that and you'll get all of the attention of the little piggies when you put your foot in it. it you are looking for an above average aggressive sound, run longtubes, an O/R X or H and a couple of those dyno-max round bullets. that should be loud enough for you.

just an idea.

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
i believe u would get more power out of the X pipe

I noticed tho that OR X's have less backfire then OR H's

epracmetcon

Established Member
Black96SVT said:
i believe u would get more power out of the X pipe

I noticed tho that OR X's have less backfire then OR H's

Mine pops pretty good on shifts, especially on the 1-2 shift.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
97 cobra said:
Ive heard that the x-pipe gives similar hp gains but a little more tq than the h-pipe
the common theory is that h pipe's have slightly better low end torque whereas x pipes gain 1 or 2 more topend.

i would not do straight pipes or bullet mufflers.

my car is loud as hell and its got a full exhaust minus tail pipes.

CleanCobra

The Anti-Bling
Established Member
So when I get my American Thunder CB, I'll get some torque? I thought that the loss of backpressure would take away a couple pounds.

96Creeper

Featured Rcoupe
Established Member
thanks for the input, i have an off road x pipe and borla mufflers and borla pipes right now, i just want something to make it sound a little louder, anyone know where i can get some cheap long tubes?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
96Creeper said:
thanks for the input, i have an off road x pipe and borla mufflers and borla pipes right now, i just want something to make it sound a little louder, anyone know where i can get some cheap long tubes?

:lol: :lol: Cheap long tubes...for a 4v?

Change your mufflers. I have a UPR w-pipe with Dynomax Ultra Flows and it's loud, very loud.

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
na svt said:
:lol: :lol: Cheap long tubes...for a 4v?

Change your mufflers. I have a UPR w-pipe with Dynomax Ultra Flows and it's loud, very loud.
Hmmmm I might to swap to a w-pipe then, hows the sound? :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread