strange and mysterious tranny problem HELP

jetblackcobra

Established Member
ok guys this is a new one on me. me and my brother put in a new clutch recently, we used the FMS 11" clutch kit, it came with a new flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing. anyway now it will only once in a while refuse to go into gear, if i turn off the motor then i can get it into gear easily, start it back up and drive. heres where it gets wierd, it only seems to have this problem if it sitts for a few minutes at idle, and after i turn it off and put it in gear the problem will dissapear only if i romp on it. WTF?:shrug: clutch cable? loose bellhousing? :cuss:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
If it is the stock plastic cable, it could be stretched and not functioning right. Too much slack not allowing the clutch to disengage all the way.

jetblackcobra

Established Member
yea thats one of the main culprits i think it may be is the cable, but wouldnt that be a constant problem and not just once in a while?

SNK BITN

Established Member
Get a firewall adjuster and you problems should go away, its only $25 from summit. If it still happens then there was a misalignment when reinstalling the clutch/tranny.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by jetblackcobra
thanks guys, i found the problem, my cable was streatched

Glad it was that simple. Did you go ahead and install the cable, firewall adjuster, and quadrant at the same time? I meant to mention this in the earlier post but had a brain fart. :uh oh: All the stock plastic stuff in my car was either stretched or not working right, so I replaced all of it at once. Saves a little money, and is an easy way to eliminate any slack or problems in that link.

Users who are viewing this thread