Strange cooling issue

frankin

Established Member
I replaced the alternator, went fairly smooth. I removed the deguass tank so we could have a bit more room. When everything went back together, all hell broke loose with the cooling system. All we did was remove the small hose that goes to the radiator. The first test drive, the temp gauge shot up all the way, lucky I was withing a few blocks of home. I got it home let her cool and burped the system again. On the second test drive the temp gauge went to zero. I thought WTF!! After attempting another burp, the Service Engine Soon light came on, another, WTF! I am lost and hope I do not have to take it to Ford. I am out of money for this paycheck, since I paid $200 to get towed of the interstate in the cold rain 5 hours later, 60mi down the road.
Another $200 went for the alternator and $52 for the belt.

If anyone can help, it would be great.

Thanks

frankin

Established Member
Yes checked about 100 times, Strange thing is when the fan kicks in the temp gauge goes down to zero. If I could get the trouble code for the engine light it may help. I thought there was a way we could do that with the odometer.

frankin

Established Member
I'm not sure what you mean by, scanned the light.
I believe the air is out I did the water tight funnel and coolent thing at the filler cross tube and I don't see any more bubbles. When I run it the gauge is normal for a few seconds, than the fan comes on and the temp gauge drops to zero. The service engine light has remained on since the first test drive.

331power

Established Member
I'm not sure what you mean by, scanned the light.
I believe the air is out I did the water tight funnel and coolent thing at the filler cross tube and I don't see any more bubbles. When I run it the gauge is normal for a few seconds, than the fan comes on and the temp gauge drops to zero. The service engine light has remained on since the first test drive.

I meant have you scanned the check engine light??? What codes is it giving you????

frankin

Established Member
No. I'm not sure how read the codes with the odometer. Autozone will do it for free, but I'm afraid to drive it after yesterday. I reset the service engine light and it came on again, and also my temp guage does not work at all now. I wonder if it is the ECT sensor near the filler tube. Is there a voltage test I can do on this.

frankin

Established Member
It was the ECT sensor. As soon as it got up to temp it would fail, and the temp guage would shutdown. Burping is also complete. Amazing how sensitive these cars are to air bubbles.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

yellow03cobra

Established Member
on a side note, state farm once told me they would reimburse me for my tow if I turned in a receipt to them. Might be worth asking your insurance.

frankin

Established Member
Yes I did that, and since I repaired it here, they reimbursed me.

However it seems I am getting backpressure in the degass tank, and it is not heating up and can not detect any water in the oil or coolent out the exhaust. Just the normal water till she warms up. I need to have a pressure test, I hope it is a hose and not the gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread