Strange electrical problem

PDubs

Established Member
When I returned to my car in the evening, the car wouldn't start. Lights were dim, and the starter wouldn't turn. Just the quick clicking noises. Had a friend try to jump it, didn't work. Took the battery to Autozone and they said it was at half capacity, chargeable. Came back, but unlike when you reset the battery, all radio presets were in tact and the clock was accurate.

Went back to the car and hooked it up to my buddie's car to try and jump it again. It was connected for almost 30 minutes. All lights were full strength, but as soon as I try to start the car, nothing. We removed my buddies car's connection and immediately, the lights went dim.

I didn't want to spend $$ if it were potentially a battery issue and whatever problem I'm having would completely drain the new battery, but at this point, I don't know what else it could be. One interesting thing this morning: lights were at full strength, but as I turn the key to just before the car starts, the radiator fan starts going and doesn't shut off until I turn the ignition to "off" or take out the key.

I checked all ignition-related fuses and they are fine. So what gives??

Edit: Forgot to mention, I dropped my car off around 6pm. So I'm positive I didn't leave any exterior/interior lights on.

Last edited:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Sounds like your alternator took a crap on you. It will destroy the battery pretty quickly if its not charging.

PDubs

Established Member
That sucks but would make sense. The only thing different about yesterday than the last few months was that I used the A/C a bunch and did put the car in boost sometimes. I haven't washed the engine bay in weeks and it hasn't rained in the same amount of time.

Guess I'll put the hood blanket back on and off to the dealer.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Wings65288 said:
do you HAVE to wash the engine bay?

I'd never spray water in there.

Do you have the AC or something on that would cause the compressor and fan to go on maybe?

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Since the fan came on with the key, either the engine temp was high enough to trip it (not the case here, right?) or the a/c or defrost was on. Nothing else should turn it on unless you have a bad coolant temp sensor or a/c sensor.

I would look at your grounds carefully. Make sure your terminals are clean. This sounds like a ground problem if it won't jump start either.

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
I have very similar problems. I am guessing a new battery and alternator would fix this problem. Only problem is that I bet that they would have to order parts from the USA. What was the fix for yours PDubs??

PDubs

Established Member
My bad, I should have brought closure on this topic.

Fastlane: The problem was with the battery. Apparently my buddy's car wasn't enough to even try and charge the battery. I had it towed to the dealership, they wheeled out their heavy-duty charger, and the car started right up. Drove the car to the service area, turned it off. Tried to start it again, and nothing.

Battery was replaced under warranty. Old battery showed no indications of crapping out either: green bulb on battery, no indicator lamp on dashboard, and Autozone said it was okay. When I brought it in, he mentioned there were quite a few batteries being replaced this summer for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread