Strange issue '96 Cobra

mystical

Established Member
While coasting to a stop with the trans in neutral, I attempted to rev at my buddies who were parked at a coffee shop. Anyhow, engine doesn't seem to rev up just seems like it is choking with the throttle pressure. This has happened in the past so I had a full tune up done in hopes that it would recify the issue but unfortunately it hasn't. Car runs great otherwise no issues whatsoever but just wondering what could be causing this? Car has brand new FRPP wires, Autolite 764 plugs at .054, new fuel filter and engine decarb done. Any ideas folks?

KCRN12

Established Member
Hmmm... That's odd. What does your car idle at, and when you're coasting down do the RPMs drop out and kick back up a few times, like it's wanting to die but the computer won't let it? Also, what happens if you're already stopped, idle is smooth, and then you try to rev it?

mystical

Established Member
Car idles and drives fine, like I said I don't experience any other issues. Not sure what it could be. Could be just a fluke I suppose. I'm wondering if anyone else had experienced the same thing?

ChromeSnake98

Established Member
Mine actually does the same thing randomly. If I'm sitting at an idle and punch it to the ground really quick and let off, it has to be like split second WOT then off, sometimes it'll stumble and almost stall. I have no driving issues either it pulls hard thru the rpms without a problem. I however do know that I have to clean my imrc's and I haven't changed my fuel filter because I can't get the damn "quick" disconnects off lol. So I don't know if that has anything to do with it. The only other thing I've noticed is once in a blue moon it will have a hard start. It'll start but idles only at around like 300 and if I don't physically bring the rpms up it'll stall. Idk if that similar to ur issue or not but I figured I'd put it out there

mystical

Established Member
Mine actually does the same thing randomly. If I'm sitting at an idle and punch it to the ground really quick and let off, it has to be like split second WOT then off, sometimes it'll stumble and almost stall. I have no driving issues either it pulls hard thru the rpms without a problem. I however do know that I have to clean my imrc's and I haven't changed my fuel filter because I can't get the damn "quick" disconnects off lol. So I don't know if that has anything to do with it. The only other thing I've noticed is once in a blue moon it will have a hard start. It'll start but idles only at around like 300 and if I don't physically bring the rpms up it'll stall. Idk if that similar to ur issue or not but I figured I'd put it out there

Yes, split second stab of the throttle and let off is when it happens! I don't have any starting or idle issues though.:shrug:

1997Cobra

Established Member
Same thing here, 40k on my motor. Pulls hard all the way to redline, short throttle stabs will kill it. I have no clue why, I just stopped doing it.

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
It is dying because the engine is getting a quick shot of air with no or not enough fuel, the old carburetors would do the same thing when the accelerator pump was going bad. I would suspect the MAF is lagging on sending the the signal to the PCM, another possibility is a sudden large drop in fuel pressure for that moment in time.

bergz22

Established Member
If its just a quick throttle stab I'd check the iac and clean it out. Also when driving in gear give it wot, and snap completely off the throttle, if it tries to choke or die out its definetly a iac issue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread