Strange issue: intercooler pump not turning on unless jumped

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
Car hasn't been run much lately, started her up and it heated up real quick. Shut it off, n found out that the thermostat was stuck, and secondly the ic pump wasn't on when the car was running.... Jumped it, worked fine! Checked fuses under hood, all good, changed relay with known working one- no dice! Wtf is going on, not really sure what else to check. Any insight? It's not like it's running lightly when jumped, it pumps out some volume.... Just nothng when relay is in place....

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I think your IAT temps need to be a certain temp before it will turn in. Since you changed your thermostat have you went out and drove the car for a bit? Just because your coolant temps are high does not necessarily mean your IATs are that high.

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
I've already tried a new relay- does anyone know if the intercooler is always running key on engine on or is it iac temp controlled , I thought it was an always on thing?

Sagittaria

Established Member
Computer controlled. Isn't on all the time... according to IAT and some other factors. If you have it in your garage never move it and leave it on for 10-15 minutes.. it may never turn on. Has to get on the road at least.

You could wire it up to be on all the time easy if you'd like. But I always figured it was a way to extend pump life so I left it.

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
Thanks guys, gonna put a new thermostat in, and give it a whirl and see if it comes on with the known working relay, once the iats have risen.

rus

Established Member
Mine never ran until I jumped it. I replaced relay, no change. Changed fuse, no change. Well I traced wiring and someone previous to me cut one of the wires in the main harness. I reconnected and soldered the wire. The car runs about two minutes and the intercooler pump kicks on as designed.

Users who are viewing this thread