Strange noise in my KB 2.2L (video clip)

Mike681

Established Member
No it does not make the noise with it removed, while spinning the pulley. It's smooth with no lash or play in it. KB doesn't think it's the supercharger, given that my oil, albeit low, is clean, and everything seems to be fine while spinning the pulley by hand.

I'm going to send them my supercharger, but wanted to see if anyone has experienced this too.

Yeah it's the older style with the oil catch can:

Engine_zps579201dc.jpg

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I would remove the belt and start the car to see if you can hear the sound.
My guess is it is not the blower.

Mike681

Established Member
I would remove the belt and start the car to see if you can hear the sound.
My guess is it is not the blower.

You may be right. What do you think it could be?

When I put my hand around the snout, I can feel it right in there just before it meets the sc unit. Put my hand on other areas of my engine, and the supercharger unit itself, and it was not there. All this literally happened right after I put Metco idler pulleys and a new belt on. Had the car two months.

I actually already unbolted everything in order to send it off to KB, would this be unwise? Otherwise I was going to have JPC in MD look at it.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
You may be right. What do you think it could be?

When I put my hand around the snout, I can feel it right in there just before it meets the sc unit. Put my hand on other areas of my engine, and the supercharger unit itself, and it was not there. All this literally happened right after I put Metco idler pulleys and a new belt on. Had the car two months.

I actually already unbolted everything in order to send it off to KB, would this be unwise? Otherwise I was going to have JPC in MD look at it.

It is hard to say but if you had no problem before the idlers and belt I would check there first.

I would not waste the $$ to send the blower until you make sure it's the problem.

Mike681

Established Member
I may move on to do that, even though it can't be too bad since there's zero play in the pulley. Even a little worn could do it I suppose. It's an easy inspection so it can't hurt.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
Check all of you idler bearings. I had a bad sound that I thought was coming from my blower. It was actually a bad idler bearing.

Mike681

Established Member
I'll check that too. My supercharger isn't pulling as hard as it used to under boost, so I'm not sure this is it. But at this point, I'll check anything out!

Literally, when I hit the gas to engage the supercharger, it doesn't have that increasing whining noise, it's like the sound decreases in pitch, if that makes sense...like it's struggling or something.

Users who are viewing this thread