Strange Noise?

IllestSVT

Established Member
I have a humming or howling noise coming from the rear of my truck and have no idea what it is:shrug:

I thought it was my tires but I just put on new wheels and tires today and the noise is still there

Any help on what this could be would be greatly appreciated.

IllestSVT

Established Member
No vibes, just noise. Coming from the back. Hope its not my rear end.

Anyone else see or hear this before?

Rainman15

Petey RIP 04/29/05
Established Member
Sounds like gear whine to me. Are you running the stock gear? Did you buy the truck new, so you KNOW it is the stock gear? I changed my black 2000 L's gear to 4:10 (which whined a little before I changed over to royal purple gear oil) and when I traded the truck the gear was still in there. Regardless, this would be a great time to dump the old gear oil and replace it with royal purple. Even if it doesn't correct the noise issue it is a good maintanence move. Depending on your build date that truck is over 4 years old now running in AZ heat. Oil doesn't last forever.

Last edited:

IllestSVT

Established Member
I bought the truck used, in great shape from the original owner about 2-3 months ago. He had it completely serviced at 29418 miles and I have the service record of that it says it serviced the rear differential. I bought the truck with like 31500 miles on it and now it just has under 33000.

Rainman, that sounds like it could be that. It can't be the tires. I just got some new 20's put on and the wheels on the rear already have some black looking oil on the inside.

Im gonna call the dealer the seller had the truck serviced at and see whats up.

Ill let you guys know what I find out. Thanks.

IllestSVT

Established Member
Well I checked the differential and theres plenty of gear oil in there.

I also noticed that my old stock wheels had some dried up oil or grease on the insides of them. And now after only having my new wheels for about 5 days, I see some oil or grease on the rear wheels.

So could this be a bearing? Even though I still have that waaaaaaaaa sound? Im taking the truck in on Tuesday where it was last serviced to find out whats wrong.

IllestSVT

Established Member
Well it ended up being the damn Pinion Bearings in the rear end:mj: :mj: :mj: Kinda freak accident that happened to me. They wen't out at 33,000 miles, SUCKS!!!

Users who are viewing this thread