Strange thing today - Cold start surging, almost stalled at a light, gas smell warm

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I posted in the surge thread a few days ago but my car did something wierd today.

Notes - bone stock save for roush A/B. No tune ever.

So about a month after i bought the car (used with 28k miles on it), i started noticing what seems like a miss at idle. Nothing crazy.

Anyways fast forward 2 months, and 1500 miles later the problem of miss idles seems to be more pronounced. The car also developed a cold surge. Meaning if you try and cruise below 2k rpms the car will surge and buck...it wasnt too bad.

Fast forward till today. Cold start, let it idles for about 60 seconds. In 1st gear it surged/bucked bad twice in a row, so i put it in second and cruised out. On the same ride, about 1 mile down the road i pulled to a stop light. After about 20 seconds in neutral, the car choked and almost died then came back to normal idle. So i finshed the drive, washed the car, and came home. The car was FULLY warm by now (about 8 miles of driving).

When I pulled into my garage it smelled like gas/running rich. My gas mileage has been sorta poor lately.

Any thoughts?

I have the extended warranty and service package (good thing I did not do my tune yet) so I scheduled a visit to Ford, but the dealer I bought it from is packed for almost a week and a half. Anything I can check myself?

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
No CEL light means most techs these days will shrug it off. I have a 13 as well, though I have a few bolt ons and tune and I have noticed from time to time first thing in the morning it will give me a little bucking and kicking in first....and a couple times in the afternoon after it sat all day it will kick a little in first. I've always written it off. When you first fire up, the computer is trying to get the A/F ratio in line as it reads from the O2's. This can cause it to smell rich. But if it isn't kicking the light, it isn't rich enough to cause an issue.....yet. If you are really concerned, pull a plug and inspect it. You can see a lot of issues as they begin based on plug conditions

Users who are viewing this thread