Strange vibration in 3rd gear

keith89

Established Member
I agree, the pedal effort was definately cut in half from the stock pressure plate. However, trying to take off or going in reverse (much worse in reverse), would shutter the car if you tried to slip it in as the clutch would just grab. It was all or nothing, no slipping. Great at the track, not so much the way I drive the car daily. I have seen others that didn't have this issue with a Spec 2 and I can't explain it. That is how it has been with my car anyway.

that is strange. i'll stay tuned to see if you find anything wrong with the tranny.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
Small update:

The pilot bearing was definitely failing. I'm sure that is part of the problem. Also noticed a groove around the input shaft just inside the input shaft bearing retainer. Clearly there is an issue where the input shaft made contact with the retainer. As far as any issues in the tranny, I don't know yet. Tranny should be broken down this weekend.

To address the issue(s), I've ordered a new clutch, flywheel, ARP bolts, pilot bearing, TOB, clutch fork, pivot ball, 26 spline input shaft, and retainer. I'm also going to try the "anti venom" mod that seems to be a hit with those who have done it. I'm expecting that I'll have the car back on the road Wednesday next week.

Will provide another update if/when I get more info.

keith89

Established Member
Small update:

The pilot bearing was definitely failing. I'm sure that is part of the problem. Also noticed a groove around the input shaft just inside the input shaft bearing retainer. Clearly there is an issue where the input shaft made contact with the retainer. As far as any issues in the tranny, I don't know yet. Tranny should be broken down this weekend.

To address the issue(s), I've ordered a new clutch, flywheel, ARP bolts, pilot bearing, TOB, clutch fork, pivot ball, 26 spline input shaft, and retainer. I'm also going to try the "anti venom" mod that seems to be a hit with those who have done it. I'm expecting that I'll have the car back on the road Wednesday next week.

Will provide another update if/when I get more info.
hmm weird. Thanks for the update. I'll check back.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
FYI: Just dropped off the input shaft to the shop. They are cracking it open today to see if there are any other issues. I'll know more by Saturday.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
Word from the shop is that my pilot bearing really was the issue. When they removed the tranny and then took out the clutch, the pilot bearing fell to the floor. It is pretty hacked up (I'll get pictures soon) and did not appear to be pressed into the crank. That allowed the input shaft to wobble and make contact with the TOB retainer sleeve. So far, they have not found any other issues and they believe this was the cause of the major vibration I was feeling in 3rd gear.

I'll post up again this weekend after my trip and will let you know if everything is resolved.

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

keith89

Established Member
Interesting. Thanks for the update. I hope this is my issue too. I would hate to have to pull the tranny just to find out though.
your vibration was just 3rd gear deceleration as well? It's possible i have the same issue as it started when i had my engine rebuilt, so everything was out.

Last edited:

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
Yup, 3rd gear. Something to think about as well, if the input shaft is wobbling, so is the clutch. Now I did have my tranny removed to have new synchros installed and then this problem appeared. Don't know what may have been done wrong and I don't wish to accuse anyone of anything, so I'm just chalking this up to be one of those problems that just happens. I think you're better off removing the tranny to find out before anything else gets damaged.

Here's what it did to my clutch. Note, I may have done 2 burnouts and 4 passes on this clutch in 45K miles. I don't abuse the car so it is a shocker to me that the stock clutch lasted nearly twice as long.

IMG_0080.jpg

keith89

Established Member
oh man. was it acceleration and deceleration in 3rd gear? Also was the vibration violent enough to shake the whole car?

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
It shook the whole car. I only noticed the vibration during deceleration in 3rd gear, no other. What caused me to bring it in is that I started to notice the vibration during acceleration at very high RPMs. I think I got lucky and brought it in at the right time before any major damage was done.

Last edited by a moderator:

keith89

Established Member
It shook the whole car. I only noticed the vibration in deceleration in 3rd gear, no other. What caused me to bring it in is that I started to notice the vibration during acceleration at very high RPMs. I think I got lucky and brought it in at the right time before any major damage was done.

ok i'll have to check this out. Thanks.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
I should also note, and I think this is important, I noticed a sound that I would hear at idle. It sounded very much like the TOB, but that had just been replaced. The only time the noise would go away is when the clutch was disengaged. If you aren't noticing this problem too, maybe you aren't experiencing the same issue or not as bad as mine.

keith89

Established Member
I should also note, and I think this is important, I noticed a sound that I would hear at idle. It sounded very much like the TOB, but that had just been replaced. The only time the noise would go away is when the clutch was disengaged. If you aren't noticing this problem too, maybe you aren't experiencing the same issue or not as bad as mine.

hmm I had my engine rebuilt last year and was plagued with problems since so i haven't driven it much to notice any other noises. I've been working out all the bugs. This is the last issue that i have to deal with. I hope my clutch doesn't look like yours when it comes out.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
I hope your clutch isn't as bad either. I'm sure it was prematurely wearing out with the wobble in the input shaft and this just gets expensive.

Please update this post so that we can see what you find. Never know how helpful this information will be to someone else.

keith89

Established Member
I hope your clutch isn't as bad either. I'm sure it was prematurely wearing out with the wobble in the input shaft and this just gets expensive.

Please update this post so that we can see what you find. Never know how helpful this information will be to someone else.

Other than the 3rd gear and shuddering start(which was probably caused by that wear pattern on the clutch), did your car drive normally otherwise?

Thanks for all the updates. This is sounding more and more like the issue I'm having. I will definitely update this when I take my car to my parent's house for Thanksgiving. Luckily i rarely drive it.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
Car drove normal. In fact I started to just skip over 3rd gear all together as it felt fine in other gears. The shuddering start and in reverse was there from day one with this clutch. It never got better and is why I always hated it.

Good luck with yours. I'll be sure to check back from time to time.

keith89

Established Member
Car drove normal. In fact I started to just skip over 3rd gear all together as it felt fine in other gears. The shuddering start and in reverse was there from day one with this clutch. It never got better and is why I always hated it.

Good luck with yours. I'll be sure to check back from time to time.

how many miles have you driven it like this? I'm just hoping the input shaft hasn't gotten worn from this. I'd hate to have to replace that too lol. $$$cha-ching.
Thanks and let me know once it's repaired.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
I'm guessing I have 3K - 5K put on it when this started. It was the last 1000 miles that really got bad. I have an 800 mile trip coming this weekend and I know there was no way I was going to make it without a problem.

I hear ya about the input shaft, but now that it's done, I hope to not worry about it again. The shop was saying that the tranny looked immaculate and there were no metal filings that could be found. I'm pretty grateful that I've only had to replace the input shaft and not anything else internally.

keith89

Established Member
I'm guessing I have 3K - 5K put on it when this started. It was the last 1000 miles that really got bad. I have an 800 mile trip coming this weekend and I know there was no way I was going to make it without a problem.

I hear ya about the input shaft, but now that it's done, I hope to not worry about it again. The shop was saying that the tranny looked immaculate and there were no metal filings that could be found. I'm pretty grateful that I've only had to replace the input shaft and not anything else internally.

ok. I've only put about 1k miles on it since it started happening so hopefully it's not that bad. Thanks again. :beer:

I'll update when I check mine out. Probably Thanksgiving weekend.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
800 miles on the clutch and it is awesome. No more vibration and this is by far the easiest clutch pedal I've felt in a Mustang. Issue resolved!

Users who are viewing this thread