Street racing go/no go

Ponyracer1

Established Member
After perusing the vid section and looking at you tube, I'm seeing more and more vids being posted from "mexico" showing illegal roll racing from approximately the speed limit to upwards of 140 mph. While normally I figure that its your business if your going out to some abandoned stretch of road to see what your ride will do, but the vids clearly show these idiots doing it on fairly busy highways with other cars in the next lane and other cars merging etc.

So that got me thinking, and I started doing some research on the consequences of street racing by state and man they are ugly. Does anyone on here actually think about these things before doing them? Loosing your license, fines, having your car crushed, insurance increases, all the way to civil suits/jail time if you cause a wreck that injures someone.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up street racing an old nova and a 350 S10 when I was in high school but that was the early 90's and things have changed. I'm not "preaching" as I've done the same things when I was younger.

I think with the ridiculous amount of power newer cars are making/capable of making, along with higher pay and longer loan terms this problem will get worse before it gets better with younger and younger people that don't think before they act sometimes having the ability to buy 600+ HP cars right off the showroom floor. Also with tech the way it is, $4500 for a twin screw and your in business.

I'm seriously thinking about going back to the dirt as there is no speed limits/cops.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

FIVEHOE

Established Member
I think people don't want to know the consequences / don't think it will happen to them.

I sure wouldn't wanna lose my car / license because I got busted street racing one time, or even worse, kill yourself or somebody else.

edit: the thing about more power too is generally ABS and traction control and all those nannies have gotten significantly better over the years, but then you have dumbasses who disable those features and crash their car because the power is too much.

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
Removed so nothing is used and/or held against me. I know how this place can be.

Last edited:

Ponyracer1

Established Member
Can you imagine coming home in a taxi and telling your wife that you no longer have a GT500? It got impounded/crushed because you got caught blowing the doors off a civic. Oh by the way, you owe 40K on it and still have to pay the loan off. I guess I'm just getting older. I stopped riding sportbikes not because I wasn't good on them anymore, but because I started wondering what was around the next corner. Did a car stop in the road? Truck dump some sand in the corner? Deer? Etc. Took all the fun out of it. Getting old sucks.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I think most believe that they won't get caught/ nothing will happen to them. The risk of getting your car crushed, jail time, fines, losing your license, civil suits, and tickets just isn't worth it to me anymore. I used to street race some, but I stopped several years ago.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Can you imagine coming home in a taxi and telling your wife that you no longer have a GT500? It got impounded/crushed because you got caught blowing the doors off a civic. Oh by the way, you owe 40K on it and still have to pay the loan off. I guess I'm just getting older. I stopped riding sportbikes not because I wasn't good on them anymore, but because I started wondering what was around the next corner. Did a car stop in the road? Truck dump some sand in the corner? Deer? Etc. Took all the fun out of it. Getting old sucks.

Worse would be calling your wife/parents from a jail cell asking them to bail you out and give you a ride home because you crashed into a car and killed someone while street racing, and you have to keep making payments on a car you no longer own. That would suck.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
They can't crush vehicles that you owe on, they aren't technically yours.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I am absolutely positive Drew Bodden never imagined in his life time that he would kill a 9 yr old girl and end up serving a lengthy prison sentence, just because he liked to occasionally race his Mustang on the Highway.

http://www.theintell.com/my_town/do...cle_bc385364-5bea-5d7e-914c-b3fe7bb9036d.html

Drew Bodden, the Plumstead man convicted in June of driving his souped-up Mustang Cobra more than 135 mph on Doylestown’s Route 611 on Thanksgiving Eve, causing the horrific crash that killed 9-year-old Holly Huynh and critically injured her grandmother, Suzanne Berry, was sentenced Thursday to eight to 25 years in a state prison.

“I have made a grave mistake,” Bodden said, weeping before Huynh’s family in a Bucks County courtroom in Doylestown.

“I am sorry for taking Holly away from you. I am sorry for taking away Mrs. Berry’s independence. If I could trade places with them, I would.”

paluka21

Established Member
I used to play around with other cars on the street in my younger years, but don't think it's worth the risk of all the consequences any more. I have too much to lose and my family depends on me as a bread winner, plus I like my freedom and my car. If I injured or killed another person because of my negligence I could lose my home and much more.
I know a few stories of people street racing in my area which ended in a vehicle being thrashed or lives being lost. I'd personally rather take it to the track to race other than spirited driving I may do from time to time on the interstate when the coast is clear.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I am absolutely positive Drew Bodden never imagined in his life time that he would kill a 9 yr old girl and end up serving a lengthy prison sentence, just because he liked to occasionally race his Mustang on the Highway.

http://www.theintell.com/my_town/do...cle_bc385364-5bea-5d7e-914c-b3fe7bb9036d.html

Drew Bodden, the Plumstead man convicted in June of driving his souped-up Mustang Cobra more than 135 mph on Doylestown’s Route 611 on Thanksgiving Eve, causing the horrific crash that killed 9-year-old Holly Huynh and critically injured her grandmother, Suzanne Berry, was sentenced Thursday to eight to 25 years in a state prison.

“I have made a grave mistake,” Bodden said, weeping before Huynh’s family in a Bucks County courtroom in Doylestown.

“I am sorry for taking Holly away from you. I am sorry for taking away Mrs. Berry’s independence. If I could trade places with them, I would.”

+1
Don't think it will/can happen to you or someone you know?
This guy was a member here and had posted a few "Kill stories" Unfortunately his last was an actual kill story.

Yea, I did it also like the OP back in the day. We went to a open road in the middle of the cane field where if anyone got hurt it was only the 2 racing.
Times have changed, traffic has changed, everything has changed IMO.

4a7191a

Established Member
Id rather take it to the track too,but the local tracks closed more than half the time and even on nice clear days. Its closed today even... 59 degrees for a high, sunny and low humidity... Perfect weather for running cars.
I try not to race on the streets... Every so often I'm guilty of it though. But all it takes is that one time .....

Kiohtee

Established Member

That sorry mother****er deserves life in solitary confinement as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't matter where you live or are at, Christmas Eve is no time to be ****ing off on public roads. :nonono:

Last edited:

FIVEHOE

Established Member
That sorry mother****er deserves life in solitary confinement as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't matter where you live or are at, Christmas Eve is no time to be ****ing off on public roads. :nonono:

article said thanksgiving eve, but yeah sucks none the less.

I bet he didn't have much to give thanks for the next day.

STREETREBEL

Established Member
My first ticket when I was 16 and started driving was a ticket for drag racing.
My dad chased me around the yard with a big switch, trying to beat me.
I'm in my 60,s now. Obviously my dad didn't catch me that day or I wouldn't still be alive!

MFE

Established Member
This is SVTP. For you to even suggest such contemplation means you're an old, small-dick, teetotaling,bible-sniffing, hypocrital pussy who should be driving nothing more powerful than a Prius. Am I doing it right?

Users who are viewing this thread