Street/Road Race

Alloy Snake

Established Member
What do you have and recomend as competant for both-Dont put miles on the car but need the performance-stock wheels.Thinking 888s but looking for advice on tires and sizing.Will be hitting Daytona in December, Thanks

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thank you for the Post. We can certainly help you with your tire needs.

I would take a close look at the Yokohama Advan Sport. This models has excellent handling and steering response (great for the track) and does very well in wet conditions. It does not have an R-Coumpound like the R888, but it carries a 180 tread wear rating with a Y designated Z speed rating. This model is available in the factory sizes. Here's a link with more details.

99snakeIA

Established Member
tires for snake

so, i have a 99 cobra. runnin fr500's 18x9, 265-i forget, and 18x10 275 40 i think. im in iraq and cant run out and check. i woulod like to fill the rim a little better and im lookin for a better tire than the nexus tires that came with the wheels. I dont road race per say, and i last year i was comuting about 35-40 miles one way. I work in ft hood tx and was enjoyin livin in austin. so im lookin for a tire and size recomendation and will be getin new ties when i get home in jan, thanx

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
so, i have a 99 cobra. runnin fr500's 18x9, 265-i forget, and 18x10 275 40 i think. im in iraq and cant run out and check. i woulod like to fill the rim a little better and im lookin for a better tire than the nexus tires that came with the wheels. I dont road race per say, and i last year i was comuting about 35-40 miles one way. I work in ft hood tx and was enjoyin livin in austin. so im lookin for a tire and size recomendation and will be getin new ties when i get home in jan, thanx

Thank you for the post and all your service to our country.

I would change the sizes as follows:

Front - 265/35-18
Rear - 295/35-18

This will fill out the wheels better in the rear and will give you a slight rake. There are a few models to choose from but I think the best option for you considering the amount of driving you do would be the BFG KDW (NT). This is an ultra high performance summer tire rated for 20K + miles. This tire has great wet and dry handling. Here's a link with more details:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

hey not to hijack this thread but when you get your post count higher and get PMs could you please PM me. I got some questions about that commute

99snakeIA

Established Member
tires

Thank you for the post and all your service to our country.

I would change the sizes as follows:

Front - 265/35-18
Rear - 295/35-18

This will fill out the wheels better in the rear and will give you a slight rake. There are a few models to choose from but I think the best option for you considering the amount of driving you do would be the BFG KDW (NT). This is an ultra high performance summer tire rated for 20K + miles. This tire has great wet and dry handling. Here's a link with more details:

I have a 265 up front now and it does not quite fill out the rim. I was looking for a wider front. I have a freind with an srt-4 neon and he jsut raves about these tires so its good to get a second vote

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
BFG offers the KDW (NT) in size 275/35-18 as well. This is the max width I recommend you go on the front.

99snakeIA

Established Member
alrity...finally home and got the tires...love em so far. quick question though...discount filled them to 30 psi and the side wall says max 51...rite now i have them at 40. what is a good psi and why is there such a range on these??

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
alrity...finally home and got the tires...love em so far. quick question though...discount filled them to 30 psi and the side wall says max 51...rite now i have them at 40. what is a good psi and why is there such a range on these??

Which model and sizes did you end up going with? As far as the pressure goes, we use an inflation table based off the OE specs to figure out the correct pressure. I can certainly confirm the right pressures for you. What is the listed pressure on the door placard?

99snakeIA

Established Member
tire pressure

...so no info on the door. the stock tires were 265 17's i think.
im now rockin kdw nt's
have 295s on the back and 275s up front.

Last edited:

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
...so no info on the door. the stock tires were 265 17's i think.
im now rockin kdw nt's
have 295s on the back and 275s up front.

That's odd, do you have a custom paint job? It could also be located on the lid of the glove box or inside the gas cover. If you can't find it, check your owners manuel. I'm not sure what the stock pressure is so I can not make a recommendation without that information.

99snakeIA

Established Member
list

no, the sticker is there...just no tire pressure on it and i have no book...ill see what i can find.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I pretty sure the OE recommended pressure is 30PSI (if someone can, please confirm) so if that's the case, the OE tire (245/45-17) has a 95 load index which @ 35PSI = 1303lbs.

The 275/35-18 KDW NT has the same load index and does not have a reinforced (XL) sidewall construction so the recommended pressure stays the same @ 30PSI. The rear 295/35-18 KDW NT however, has a 99 load index and also does not have reinforced sidewall contruction so to meet 1303lbs the pressure would be set at 27PSI. This IMO is a little low so I would keep the rears set at 30PSI as well. Like you mentioned, the max pressure on these two sizes is 51PSI so do not exceed this pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread