Streetcar Project

07vert

Established Member
Hey Everyone.
It's my turn...I swore up and down I wasn't going to post up about my recently acquired project car, until it was close to completion but I'm actually having a lot of trouble deciding which direction I want to go, so I turn to you guys...I have a few ideas but hear me out first.

In order to understand where I want to go with the vehicle, I guess the best way to start is to mention why/when/how I got the car, and what its purpose it will be with me.

I've spent a lot of money on cars in general since I graduated college 2 years ago. To make a few long stories short, I've ended up shelling out A LOT of money on down payments on cars that I didn't end up keeping (like my 07 GT500 vert) and I've also shelled out a lot of money getting out of leases just to get back into more debt.

Well, I was sick of paying the insurance on the Shelby, it was my only car and I live in CT where it snows, and a round trip to work everyday is 110 miles, so it was actually kind of gut-wrenching thinking about the amount on gas I'd actually spend in one week....the worst thing is that it was definitely an impulse buy, not the smartest thing a 22 yr old could do. My brother and father both have 05+ mustangs, and hell well I wanted one too.

Fast forward 6 months and I traded in the Shelby for a ford focus, great little econo-box that could get me to work in the snow and get 36 mpg during my hour commute each way to work, well summer came and I wanted something fast to do some spirited driving with on the street and do some racing on the weekends at the track.

I found a GREAT price on a 1992 Ford Mustang Coupe it was a 4cyl car previous...it needed some work and was slightly modified...I had been looking for a coupe and I wasn't able to find one that was in the shape I wanted for the price I was willing to pay. I took the car for a test drive, and it instantly reminded me of having my mustang again, I HAD TO HAVE IT! After some figures, we settled on a price a buck short of 3k, not bad for a coupe with some mods.

Here she is and she came race ready:
47561_606746652909_22804821_34662716_4150725_n.jpg

61686_606626598499_22804821_34659607_6796052_n.jpg

61726_606626867959_22804821_34659626_6117372_n.jpg

Mods Include:
Refreshed Carburated 302
Holley Double Pumper
RPM Performer Intake
MSD 6PLUS Ignition with launch control capability
GT-40p Heads with trickflow valves/springs/retainers
E-303 cam
TKO-500 Transmission
3.55s
Mickey Thompson ET Streets with Skinnies up front
Bolt in Subframe Connectors
Cheap Slip-Fit Long Tube Headers
Battery Trunk Relocation with Emergency Shutoff
"Drag Shop" Shocks

The Good:
-Car has OK condition all black interior - I was told this is rare?
-Motor runs strong
-Transmission shifts pretty well, minus the occasional grind below 3k rpms into 3rd gear (transmission syncro's probably need replacement)

The Bad:
-Car had nitrous kit, which I uninstalled the first day I got it
-Rust in Drivers side Rear Quarter Panel (behind tire near exhaust) and on Drivers Side Front Fender
-Highbeams only at night
-Trouble while starting warm sometimes (takes a while, timing/dizzy issue?)
-No Radio/No AC (which is fine)
-Header exhaust leak where it meets block
-Shuts off while driving once every blue moon (fuel pump/ignition wiring issue I believe)

My Goals:
This will definitely have to be a street car, as I enjoy nothing better then getting on the throttle up and on ramp to the highway, at the same time, I'd like a 10 second track car and I've always have owned some kind of forced induction car and nothing puts a bigger smile on my face like a loud ass waste-gate.

MONEY IS A FACTOR

The idea's i've been playing with:
351w with a 408 stroker built for boost (EFI Conversion)
Aftermarket 302 long built for boost (EFI Conversion)
460 big block, NA with built heads+cam (yes I know, lots of fabrication required, stay carb'd)

What do you guys have for idea's as far as motors/setups go for a fox like this?

All input is greatly appreciated
Thanks

4valvemach

Established Member
Looks like a good project:beer:

IMO I would do the N/A 460ci swap and it really is just a drop in deal you can get the kit that includes motor mounts,oil pan,and headers.

07vert

Established Member
Looks like a good project:beer:

IMO I would do the N/A 460ci swap and it really is just a drop in deal you can get the kit that includes motor mounts,oil pan,and headers.

from the D&D automotive specialty guys?

Users who are viewing this thread