Stripped exhaust manifold stud

VNMUS03

Established Member
I need suggestions. It's the passenger side stud that stripped a bit. Every time I put the bolt on it goes on sideways. I can see a shine to where its stripped. Idk what to do at this point. I think I need new bolts too because it stripped the ones i tried on. Are they special nuts or anything will do?

cj428mach

Established Member

I'd try a google search or if there is a NAPA close walk in and talk to them. The store I stopped in was in a tiny town of about 3000 people, they have the worst selection and inventory of any parts house I've ever been in. I told the guy what I was wanting and he went over to the wall and pulled off a package of the Napa version of the "help" brand studs and gave them to me. If this store had them any store should have them lol. I replaced the ones of the drivers side to get rid of the shouldered bolts that come stock.

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
Retap the threads in the manifold and use a new stud to replace the bolts. That should work unless it's stripped very bad and in that case you would need to drill it larger and retap. Good luck

VNMUS03

Established Member
a0daaa93fb8b4b452551c1de902bacd9.jpg
one came off the manifold with the nut stick on it and the other one is stripped on the thread here
e6d1cb5a14ee5427e6f8c6930b0a9f0c.jpg

VNMUS03

Established Member
I'm thinking of buying a new stud for the one that's stuck and maybe using the re thread kit they rent at autozone to retread the stud. Idk how to use it tho.

VNMUS03

Established Member
Last resort is bolting what I can or what's left that's actually good and taking it to a shop.

VNMUS03

Established Member
If anyone can find a place where to get them let me know. Napa, smith, and ford doesn't have them. Ford told me they are discontinued so I'm shit out of luck

cj428mach

Established Member
If anyone can find a place where to get them let me know. Napa, smith, and ford doesn't have them. Ford told me they are discontinued so I'm shit out of luck

They didn't have them? or they aren't smart enough to find them?

A 30 second google search pulled up the part number Napa #600-1819

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
a0daaa93fb8b4b452551c1de902bacd9.jpg
one came off the manifold with the nut stick on it and the other one is stripped on the thread here
e6d1cb5a14ee5427e6f8c6930b0a9f0c.jpg

those are for the drivers side manifold

edit: maybe you are just showing these for reference. but as mentioned these types of studs are usually carried by most auto parts stores. good luck with it

Last edited:

joshcarp81

Established Member
I bought a pair that are a ford part. The cobra ones would have cost like 30.00 for the pair and were available. These were much cheaper.
W705444s900
Trust me they work. Slightly shorter threaded end for the nut but perfect otherwise.
I think they were for rangers and explorers.

VNMUS03

Established Member
I bought a pair that are a ford part. The cobra ones would have cost like 30.00 for the pair and were available. These were much cheaper.
W705444s900
Trust me they work. Slightly shorter threaded end for the nut but perfect otherwise.
I think they were for rangers and explorers.

Hey thanks a lot. Yeah hey we're ridiculously priced but discontinued. I actually ended up cutting the bolt and re threading it. It turned out long enough. As for the passenger I used the rethread kit and it worked. This was seriously a pain in the ass. I'm going to buy the ones you mentioned and keep them just incase something like this happens again.

Users who are viewing this thread