strong fuel smell on return style set up

ditchsnake

Established Member
I am running a fore hat with dual intank walbro's. I run only 100 octane unlead so it has a very distinctive smell. When I leave the garage closed up for a few days I get a real strong fuel smell. Can't find a drop of fuel anywhere. No leaks at all. Any ideas where the vapors are comming from?

iBiTe03

Established Member
Well anyways, if your using the stainless braided line it tends to leak a bit of the fuel smell out. others have complained about a fuel smell when sitting in the garage but no leaks were found. my suggestion is to try a different line if your worried about it.

ditchsnake

Established Member
no braided

I'm using the pushloc hose and fittings. I was wondering if I missed something when i hooked up the vapor canistor. I also deleted the black tampon looking thing that attached to the passenger strut tower (back side) that was plumbed to to smog crap. Was wondering if that had something to do with it.

ddurnan

VET ETR
Established Member
I get the same thing on my return style set-up. I use braided line and have been up and down the car and have found no leaks, at least not where it was bad enough to see anything wet. I sat under the car with the pumps running for long time after driving it around for an hour.

grnenvy

Established Member
yup

I have a smell of fuel coming from my car also if my garage is closed up for a couple days. I checked everything and the only thing that I came up with was the rubber filler tube seal. I was going to drop the tank again and replace it but I did something a little differant. I picked up some high temp black RTV sealer and sealed around the tube and rubber seal. It turned out real nice and alot of my smell disapeared. I'm thinking when removing the tank the extra weight of the tank pulling on the seal deforms it a little and you lose that tight seal.

rtusnake

Established Member
Most of the aftermarket fuel lines will weep and smell up your garage. I spent the extra money on teflon lined braided hose and don't have any fuel smell

ditchsnake

Established Member
good thread

This is a good thread with a lot of good feed back. Why didn't anyone mention these lines wheeping before we bought this expensive stuff.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Great thread! I'm very happy you made it, I really had NO idea of this issue. I see I will have to do some research on fuel lines.. Just fkin' great like I needed something else to research for my build....

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
theres really no need to change the stock fuel lines, their good till about 1000hp. :shrug:

Ummm, well for one there are no "lines", there's only one since these cars use the bullshit returnless system. There is nothing in the stock system that can handle that kind of power.

One thing you will find is that anyone making 1000hp is not going to take shortcuts or mess around with their fuel system. I know I won't be, my new engine is too expensive to risk with a shotty fuel system.

When you upgrade the necessary components to get that much power (inline pump with a sumped tank or several pumps in a fore hat) using the stock line would be harder than just upgrading it, seeing as how you'd have to adapt it on the pump side as well as the engine bay side when connecting to your new fuel rails.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Ummm, well for one there are no "lines", there's only one since these cars use the bullshit returnless system. There is nothing in the stock system that can handle that kind of power.

One thing you will find is that anyone making 1000hp is not going to take shortcuts or mess around with their fuel system. I know I won't be, my new engine is too expensive to risk with a shotty fuel system.

When you upgrade the necessary components to get that much power (inline pump with a sumped tank or several pumps in a fore hat) using the stock line would be harder than just upgrading it, seeing as how you'd have to adapt it on the pump side as well as the engine bay side when connecting to your new fuel rails.

true but all im saying is if your staying returnless theres no need, my friends running twins on his pushing closse to 900 on the stock line just fine

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
true but all im saying is if your staying returnless theres no need, my friends running twins on his pushing close to 900 on the stock line just fine

Impressive! The stock line is actually pretty massive, but I definitely cringe when I look at those nasty compression bends that Ford put in it....

So now that this problem has been identified with aftermarket fuel lines, let's see some people post up links to fuel lines that DO NOT do this! I don't need another reason for car newbies to say something to me. We already get "Hey, did you know your grill is missing?" and "Hey your car is pretty loud, is your muffler shot?" so I definitely don't need to hear "Hey did you know that POS has a fuel leak"!!!!!!

TRBO VNM

This is a good thread with a lot of good feed back. Why didn't anyone mention these lines wheeping before we bought this expensive stuff.

did you search? there have been a number of threads over the past yr about it. the aeroquip actually weeps very minimal compared to some of the others I have tried. so right now I use the aeroquip pucklock, but have never had weeping that I thought was excessive or even shocked me enough to think about it when going into the garage. I use the aeroquip on all my customers cars that upgrade and none of them have complained.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
If you've got an NPT fittings, double check them.

I just redid mine for the third time. The first time I used the wrong teflon tape, the 2nd time I used liquid sealer which held for a couple of months. Finally I used a LOT of the blue/white packaged teflon tape and no leaks so far.

Users who are viewing this thread