Strut tower brace for 03?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
I have sub-frames on it now but will it need the strut tower brace?

I plan on doing exhaust soon and pullies/chip post-warranty and that is about it.

Is strut tower a longevity thing like sub-frames or only required over a certain power level?

(sorry guys, I'm a chassis noob):shrug:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
It would be classified more as a longevity thing like subframes and lower k-member brace. It ties the front together to minimize strut mount movement during hard turns. Not usually seen on mustangs but you can also install rear-strut-tower braces which will tie the rear pillars together for the same reason.

Here is a link to Maximum Motorsport they make some of the best suspension gear for Mustangs. Also the design they show is what we are going to need to use since we have the blower all the way against the firewall.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/stb.html

SVTyballz

Established Member
It wouldn't hurt to have one, but it's not really necessary or required. The problem is going to be hood clearance. Not sure if there is enough room for anyone to design a brace that would fit between the blower and the hood.

gary

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Strut tower
Kenny Brown has made one. I'm having it installed on Thursday.

Robertson Racin, I too live in Indy and am considering having KB do some work on my 03 Vert. Extereme Matrix subs, but had not considered a tower brace. Do you have the subs? Any reply with your experience would be great. Thanks

Robertson Racin

All American Muscle
Established Member
Strut tower

OH3 Cobra, I bought a kit from them, Sub-Frame connectors, Tower brace, and 1 other part(that I can't seen to recall) They will all be intalled this Thursday. I will be going to the track Saturday. ;-)

docs03

Established Member
strut tower brace

I'm having the matrix brace with super subs and the KB strut tower brace installed on Monday along with a few other things. I'll keep you posted on how the car feels.

HAVEIGHT 13R

Established Member
I have the Kenny Brown parts on my 03 the strut tower brace and sub-frame connectors, they made a world of difference to me the car feels more strudy tahn before and I don't feel any flex when launching the car on the street. I highly recomend the Kenny Brown setup! but that's just me I live in fort wayne IN so he's not to far from here Rich helps me out and all the guy s down at KennyBrown perfromance!

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Haveight, Robertson, and Docs 03. Great Info.

Haveight. Did you get your car from Tom Wood Ford in Indy. They told me somebody from Ft. Wayne bought the sonic Blue they had. Said the guy camped out overnight. I bought their only vert to date. (ordered it in Feb.) Do you mind telling me the costs of the subs and tower brace with install?? You can also email me or give me a private msg. Did they do all of the welding on a drive on Rack? I have heard that the suspension must be loaded when installing these pieces.

Robertson and Docs 03. Let me know about your experiences with these pieces.

This is why I love this web board. Thanks again.

HAVEIGHT 13R

Established Member
Yes I did get my car from Tom Wood Ford in indy. I did camp out all night to get the car I just wanted to make sure I was going to get the car I couldn't wait any longer to get it so I drove down the night before and waited all night we fell asleep in the parking lot woke up and it was there right behind us. talk about cool!

Me and a couple of friends installed the pieces above on jackstands and with a welder. My chapter director of the Northern Indiana SVTOA installed the Sub frames. Took about two hours for both pieces counting all the talking in between.

Last edited:

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Haveeight 13 R. congrats. great story and dedication to the car. I am really enjoying mine. all i need are some subframes, k&N, and the chrome rims and i will be all set. Enjoy! You ought to come down to the track day in Sept. at IRP for SVTOA

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Roberston Racin, Per your request

http://www.svtoa-semi.com/

Check out the events. On track days at IRP. Big fun - went as an observer last year.(in the minivan).

I am also going to try to post this entry form. We'll see how I do.

Where in indy are you located? I am in Carmel. Have you ever gone to Open night on IRP. $15 gets you 3 passes down the strip. Hoep to see you out there

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
I got a note back from Matt at Maximum Motorsports;

"The most recent STB that we offer for a Cobra, 2001, will not clear
the
super charger on your car. I just had a local customer come in on
Friday,
and we took some pictures of it. We are most likely going to be using
his
car to prototype an STB for the '03 cars, and it will hopefully be
available
in a couple months.

He gooes on to mention September for availability. I think I'll wait for it.:thumbsup:

MineralGSVT

Established Member
Kenny Brown pics!

Ok.. we had our SVTOA chapter meeting last night and one of our members' '03 was on display...

Here are pics of the strut tower w/ caster plus plates, extreme matrix brace and rear shock tower brace..

howard_03_engine.jpg

and.. btw.. that is Kenny Brown under the car..

kb_extreme_03.jpg

and

howard_03_rearshock.jpg

ZXnVS

Established Member
From the picture it looks like the strut tower brace mounts under the caster/camber plates. Does that mean you have to have the car realigned after installation? Where does it attach to the firewall? Does it use some existing bolts, or is it welded, or what?

Thanks for the info...

HAVEIGHT 13R

Established Member
To install the strut tower brace you do need to cut the plastic piece and then drill into the firewall behind it to put hte bolts in place. it is a very strudy piece with excellent engireering.:D

Users who are viewing this thread