Strut tower brace worth it?

key

Established Member
I would normally use the search function, but there is none right now.

Is a strut tower brace worth it on the '03-04 cobras? I have ready two differing opinions and wanted to hear others because I'm about to order SFCs and will order the strut brace at the same time if I need it.

If it's needed, does anyone have a favorite brand?

SpectorV

Established Member
I have heard that on the 94-04 mustang bodys that the use of a strut tower brace usually helps deflection by around a quarter of an inch~

key

Established Member
I have heard that too - but is that a lot? I know nothing about suspension, so I don't know if stopping that deflection would make a noticeable difference or not.

cobrastang305

"98 Cobra R concept"
Established Member
Ive heard of people removing their factory brace (on convertible models) and the front end moved so much they could'nt align the bolt holes when they tried to put it back. Not sure about hard tops but id say its worth it on converts. I'm going with Maximum Motorsports when i order mine.

key

Established Member
Yeah I'm thinking MM SFCs and the MM strut brace.. It looks a little more sturdy than the Steeda version.

cobrastang305

"98 Cobra R concept"
Established Member
Well I dont see a 2 point brace doing anything but a well designed 3 point is worth the money in my opinion. atleast for a convert. they need all the help they can get starting with full length subframes. from what i hear, the 05+ converts have a much stiffer chassis design than our 94-04s which is also probly why their heavier.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
If you dont have coil-overs, then there are no spring loads in the strut towers. the spring loads are borne by the k-member.

and even if you do have coil overs, or feel like doing a test, tape a piece of yarn across the strut towers. drive around for a while. see if the yarn breaks.

they sell strut tower braces because customers keep asking for them. ford reinforced the car over the years to the point where they could delete the bar altogether.

i dont run one.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
^ He already said it all for the most part.

I'd go with the 4pt. Lower K brace and FL SFC's; skip the upper strut tower brace.

key

Established Member
thanks for the info guys - I ordered just the MM FLSFCs.. I asked the guy at MM about the K member brace last week and he said it wouldn't work with their tubular K, so I decided against that brace since I may go with their K at some point. If I decide to stick with the stock member then I'll get the brace.

Thanks again for the information!!

Users who are viewing this thread