Stuck.. car won’t start

pgodden

Established Member
OK guys I drive a my car maybe three times a year and as usual I just took it out of storage. I was able to start it a few weeks ago after boosting with the charger but only backed out of the garage yesterday (it was dead again so I put the charger on). When I went to put it back in the garage last night it wouldn’t start acted like a dead battery, so I pushed it back in the garage,. Overnight I put the recondition charge back on the battery to see if it was just a battery problem.

That’s it for the background now this morning it just won’t start, it reminds me of the old days when you turn the ignition and it would go “click click click” , although there is more noise than that as I’ve got the dash flashing on and off. My concern is if it was the battery then why did it start yesterday, I am wondering if anything else I should look at is the starting system or if anybody has any suggestions where to start? I really don’t know but I just get so tired of this car

Last edited:

pgodden

Established Member
interesting thanks, I just popped the caps off the battery and 5 of the 6 cells are bubbling when on charge, however i did do a voltage check and it showed 12.5 volts.

manny231988

Established Member
Ya you probably have a dead cell and don’t drive anywhere after you start the car cuz I thought mine was charged but after I went to the gym for an hour and came back to the clicking noise haha

It was embarrassing going back inside asking somebody to gimme a jump

pgodden

Established Member
may be yes.
Just tried to start it again using the Ctek charger on Supply. Wound up with a warning light (Error Mode) on the charger being lit. All that to me also says Battery. However, what messes my head up is the fact that i can let go of the key and it still clicks for a second or twos, maybe it some kind of resulting fault but is is the strangest thing.
All just very frustrating for a car with a 1000 miles on it

50stangpower

Established Member
Take it to an auto store and have them test the battery. It probably can't take a load. Better yet have someone turn the ignition on while you watch how far the battery voltage drops on the nattbat

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Most likely battery. If battery is Ok, check the clutch safety switch. I had the same issue as to intermittent start. Bought new battery (which it did need) then determined it was a faulty switch. Starts all the time now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pgodden

Established Member
Ah great thanks everyone. Will keep you informed.oh, it’s not rotting. I clean it regular and look after it. It’s just I don’t drive it anywhere. I know I need to start.......

SlowVert

Established Member
Buy a trickle charger as well.... I have a bunch of things running off Battery Tender Jrs... and since then - NEVER a dead or low battery.... and that includes my bikes which collect nothing but dust anymore... unplug the charger and hit the start button and they crank over like I've been driving them daily... worth the 30 bucks to never sweat a dead battery on something that's been sitting.

pgodden

Established Member
well that solves it, i boosted it with the wife's car and it stared, the engine light is on (deal with that later), but it started. I must say i am happy it looks like the battery. Ran it for 30 minutes and shut it off, and nothing. I will grab a new battery tomorrow

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
There are so many electronics in these cars, systems tied together and who knows what crap the engineers still getting a slight charge when a vehicle is off, I am surprised all of our batteries make it past 2 years.

Glad you mind is at peace the battery is dead and not some other issue.

+1 for Battery Tender. Mine goes on it if I don't get a chance to use it on a weekly basis. BTW, Home Depot has had them on sale the last 2 years on Black Friday for $20 which is 1/2 of the normal price. Something to look forward to.

Tom

pgodden

Established Member
I have a CTEK Multi US 7002 charger which does the same thing as a tender i think. however, i always leave it unplugged for 5 months in the winter then plug it in. then don't use it again until the fall

svt662

Established Member
may be yes.
Just tried to start it again using the Ctek charger on Supply. Wound up with a warning light (Error Mode) on the charger being lit. All that to me also says Battery. However, what messes my head up is the fact that i can let go of the key and it still clicks for a second or twos, maybe it some kind of resulting fault but is is the strangest thing.
All just very frustrating for a car with a 1000 miles on it
Why so many miles? Mine has only around 600 miles to date... LOL

Users who are viewing this thread