Stuck CD changer - THE FIX...

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
For those of you who've been cursed by a stuck CD in your CD changer, here is a handy little fix for un-sticking the changer by removing the stuck CD (which i've used several times).

What happens: You insert or eject a CD and the door to the CD slot remains open, then you get "CD ERROR" on the display :eek: Can't play, skip to or eject any CD's- Radio only.

What to do? :shrug: Take it to Ford and have them replace the changer and hope they remember to remove and return your favorite collection of pirated...er...privately-owned custom-burned CD's? :dw:

OF course getting the changer replaced under warrenty is prefered, but if you can't get to a dealer soon and still want to play CD's, here's what you do:

Step 1. Locate a donor desktop PC. Pop the lid off and remove one of those little metal tabs along the back next to the long white slots.

Step 2. Flatten it out thusly:

tab1.JPG

Step 3. You'll notice a small slot on the top where the screw was. Take the little finger that's formed at the very top and bend up at about 20-30 degrees so you get something like this:

tab2.JPG

and...

tab3.JPG

Don't bend it too much- just enough to catch the hole in the middle of the CD. Once your tool is ready, look directly into the now-stuck-wide-open CD changer slot and you'll see the edge of the offending disk. The area inside the changer above the CD slot is smooth- GENTLY slide the tool inside the changer ACROSS THE TOP OF THE CD at the center of the disk (you'll feel a very slight resistance as the tool makes space between the top of the CD and the top of the changer drawer). When the tool is about 3/4ths to 4/5ths in or so, pull out gently and if you've done it right, you'll catch the CD and it'll pop right out with no damage to the player or CD. The changer will automatically reset and become operational once the stuck disk is removed.

(NOTE: Although my use has shown this to be very safe, I assume no responsibility if you jack up your player or CD!)

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
...good old American ingenuity and a nice writeup :beer:

FX-Man

Driving the Uber Fairmont
Established Member
Nice write up. Also I've noticed on mine they only get stuck if you have a paper label on them.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I have an old scratched up cd that I use as leverage to pop the jammed CD's out. Mine always gets stuck at the door... I just slide the old cd under the jammed one, then apply alittle downward pressure on the old cd and pull back while hitting eject, thats always done it for me. I always get them jammed in slot 1. I have noticed burned cd's with labels have a high probabilty of getting stuck, that an eminems cd's. Maybe my car is trying to tell me something, like I shouldn't listen to eminem or pirated music :shrug: ;-)

CWCobra

Established Member
Anybody else get the letter from Ford warning not to use burned CDs with labels affixed? Warning was that labels caused trouble. I got my letter late last summer. Got another when I bought the L.

Later,
CW

Weasel

Established Member
Thanks for the tip. My car is going in for service soon so I'll add CD player to the to do list.

Mike

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Just use a credit card or another CD.

That metal strip is more likely to damage the stuck disc and player.

Users who are viewing this thread