Stuck on which F150 to DD

Five-ohh-Love

Established Member
After daily driving my fox for 3 and a half years straight, its getting tired. I need to take it off the road for a while and do some work to it. I've always wanted an f150 so I'm looking at used 09-10 STX and XL models with the short bed/ single cab since I have no need for anything fancy inside, rear seats, or a longer bed and wont be towing anything but maybe a small car dolly or trailer. Also don't need 4x4. After some searching I've found some lightnings with mid miles in the same price range as the other f150s I'm looking at and now I have 2 choices. Get a plain 09-10 f150 and get crappy gas mileage. Or say F it and get a lightning and have terrible gas mileage but a funner more exciting truck.

Keep in mind I drive a 47 mile round trip to work and back and I'm able to afford filling up my fox every 3 days. A single cab f150 with the 2v 4.6 shouldn't be too bad but I'm sure a supercharged 5.4 on premium would.

What should I go with guys?

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Will the truck be strictly DD duties? Or will it see some towing action as well? Still a tough decision.

I don't know if this is allowed, but you will probably get much better and straight forward answers over at Home « F150online. So much information there on all generation F150s it will make your head spin.

Me personally, I would choose the L because I've always, and still, want one. But you will be forced to run premium fuel all the time, and still get ~30% less MPG than the 2V 4.6. I would maybe try and find a low mileage 3V 4.6 with the A6 trans. Little more power for about the same economy.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
short bed/single cab! i have that exact same thing. they ended the flareside bed in 08, but i think that makes for a really nice looking truck if you can find one. mine is perfect for my needs, plus if i ever want to tow my cobra to the track, i can do that (even with the 4.6) but given a straight up choice of course i would get the 5.4 (couldnt find one at the time)

i contemplated a lightning too, but figured i didn't need it since i already have a muscle car. best of luck with it!

Users who are viewing this thread