Stuck throttle-sorta...need advice

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I'm trying to diagnose what I think is a cruise control problem in my 2002.

Only intake mod is a Steeda CAI, which has been on for a year and I don't think is causing the problem.

Symptoms so far: Main symptom-I was driving home from work Friday on the interstate doing @65, and noticed I wasn't using the throttle, but didn't have the cruise on either. I do use the cruise on my drive to work in the early AM, but not in traffic coming home (that morning it had worked fine). So I did a couple tests. I pushed in the clutch and put it in neutral, and let the clutch out. The RPM climbed to 4K. I pushed in the clutch and the RPM dropped to idle (still in neutral). Out with the clutch, and the RPM climbed. I lightly applied the brakes, and the RPM fell. By then I had to put it in gear again and get up to speed. All the interlocks seemed to work, but I didn't have the cruise on. I tried hitting the off switch a couple times, and re-tried the above with the same results.
Secondary symptom-For the last week, it's had a high idle (2K+) on startup, which may or may not be part of what happened when driving. It always fell to normal idle within a minute.

Today, I took a look at things. MAF and intake are clean, and the linkages from the throttle and cruise are in good shape. I thought I'd disconnect the cruise module until I can figure out what's up, but it's a hard connection to get to. So I thought I'd pull the cruise control fuse, and there's where I got mixed up. The Haynes manual I have lists the fuses (in the wiring circuit) as #53 & #54. They are under the dash. But when I went to pull them, #54 was missing! I at first thought maybe it fell out and that was my problem. But then I looked at the underside of the fuse cover, and it has a picture of #53 controlling the running lights, and #54 controlling a window. Either the manual or the cover is wrong, and I would assume the manual. There were no pictures that led me to which fuses were for the cruise.

Anyone have any idea what's happening, or which fuses control the cruise control? I'm going to try and get to the plug and disconnect it until I get this figured out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
1st off I'd say just disconnect the cruise cable from the TB, leave the fuses alone.

2nd be 100% sure the inside of the TB is clean.

3rd make sure the clamp on the rubber boot from the CAI to the TB isn't overtight, if it's too tight it'll deform the TB housing and cause the plate to stick.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Thanks Steve. Gonna check out more of those tomorrow (I'm driving my other DD for now).
A friend mentioned it might be a vacuum leak, and that the idle drop when pushing in the clutch is because it affects the IAC. I'll check for that as well.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Update: A MAC scanner found the TPS voltage to be around 5, at idle. Explains a lot.
Looks like a new TPS is in my future.

Users who are viewing this thread