Stumbling Problem - fuel pump going out?

Black1999Cobra

Rollin' with the top down
Established Member
So the car was running great. Had a nitrous kit installed about a month ago and has a custom tune done for 91 octane and a tune for the nitrous.

Fast forward to last week, I am driving the car (with the nitrous tune, running nitrous) and I get on it…It pulls hard in first (cool evening) and I grab second and it pulls like a mother. I let off of it at about 4500 and the car starts stumbling AFTER I let off of it. I immediately shut the car off thinking I blew the fu**er up. I slow down and turn off the nitrous. I put it in gear and let the wheels start the car as I let the clutch out. The car starts right up but it is stumbling. I come to a stop and rev it up a couple times (as it is wanting to stall) to see if it can get me home. Everything sounds fine at this point and now it is idling with no problem (after revving). The car acts like nothing happened.

I load the 91 tune (thinking the nitrous tune didn’t load right) and take it out for a drive. As soon as I hit about 4500 in first, it starts stumbling again. Rev it up a couple times, and it comes back for the most part. I try second…get to about 4000 rpms and it falls on its face again. Rev it up a couple times and its good to go again.

If I put it in 3rd or 4th at lower rpms like 2000 and floor it, it sounds normal and doesn’t have a problem running. Engine sounds fine, idles fine, gears work just like before, so it seems to me I didn’t blow anything up or break anything.

I am thinking my fuel pump is going out and when I get on it for longer periods of time (as opposed to rev’ing it up), the fuel rail runs out of pressure and thus the car falls on its face.

Also, when I had it tuned for nitrous, we only did a 70 shot (338hp & 363 tq) because the car was nearing max duty cycle of the fuel pump. I though the factory pump could handle ~125 shot and is able to keep up. Just had the fuel filter replace by ford a few months ago in preparation for the nitrous.

Do fuel pumps go out normally? Car has about 75K miles and I will guarantee it’s the factory pump.

01 Venom

Established Member
you know fully thing about fuel pumps, I have never heard of them starting to fail, its usually it works or it doesnt work.

But as far as duty cycle you have your stock pump? no BAP or anything? My stock fuel pump was near max on my NA application.

Black1999Cobra

Rollin' with the top down
Established Member
I put in 1 degree colder plugs when I switched to nitrous. Everything looked good when it was tuned.

I was not afraid of a 100 shot at first and was planning on doing a 115-125 shot. When he told me I was running out of fuel, then we didnt go to a bigger shot.

I have never really heard of a fuel pump slow dying either. Its the stock pump with nothing done to the fuel system other than a new filter. No BAP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread