Stupid Tarp Tricks

Mapdog

Established Member
Recently I transported a motorcycle back from Virginia. It was calling for rain so I strapped a tarp around the motorcycle inside an open trailer. The tarp came apart in the wind and caused a rubbing of gray tarp material into the paint. I can remove this with a clay bar and lots and lots of elbow grease but I wonder if there is an easier way. It takes 10 minutes of rubbing to clean up about a square inch of damage. Any ideas?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Have you tried using some bug and tar remover or something similar to that?

Mapdog

Established Member
Have you tried using some bug and tar remover or something similar to that?

Yes, Goo Gone. No luck. I was thinking of trying acetone but I'll bet that wouldn't be good for the paint. Someone said Meguires Ultimate Polish might work.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Yes, Goo Gone. No luck. I was thinking of trying acetone but I'll bet that wouldn't be good for the paint. Someone said Meguires Ultimate Polish might work.

dang, I was kind of hoping that if the clay bar was pulling it off that a bug and tar remover would help. A Polish would probably do the trick, I just wanted to throw out a less aggressive option first.

Mapdog

Established Member
Thanks for all the advice. I used Maquires Ultimate Compound and it did the trick. She's looking like a brand new bike.

Users who are viewing this thread