Stutters under load after new spark plugs?

cobra101

Established Member
Hi,

I changed plugs and used the same plug/gap I have used to 70K miles.

Now, under 3500 or under load it hesitates/stutters and those moves on through the rpms.

not sure what else could have changed. I may restart the computer (disconnect batt for minutes). Or next week take plugs and regap a little wider. I am at about .036 running 14+ pounds of boost.

Arghhh.

Any help appreciated.

cobra101

Established Member
ok. will try that... I thought I pushed them firm but ya never know. any other thoughts Always welcome......

Blueline

Established Member
You could try closing up the gap a bit but at 14 lbs you should be good at your present gap. Give it a shot around .032

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
did you drop one? crack in a coil boot you didn't see? Just recheck your work I'm sure you'll find it. Might just be coincidence that a coil is starting to go down. Bad luck but I've seen crazier sh!t. Also pay close attention you didnt catch a wire under the coil cover when putting them back on. Good luck.

cobra101

Established Member
Hi,

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Sorry for the delay with the conclusion.

So, The following day I re-did the job.

Bought 4 new plugs (to do one side with new plugs and eliminate a bad ne w plug issue). Regapped to .034 (but I know it ran great with the .036 I used in the past.).

Turns out, it seemed to be the wires coming off AFTER i put the cover plate on?

After toying with it... it appeared that the rubber boot/gromit that feeds the wires into the motor was off. Perhaps making it able to move around during driving.

Secured all wires and it has been fine for days, so I am all good.

It is a beast again :)

Thanks much,

-Cobra101

Ps. Scary because several motnhs ago I had the #7 Spark plug blow clearly out of the block. Luckily that was just a new coil and plug. The threads were NOT stripped. But #7 is certainly finicky.

Users who are viewing this thread