subconnectors...Steel or Alloy?

budguy1967

Established Member
I have a 97 cobra coupe that is a weekend car. When I ordered some Steeda Subconnectors, the guy on the phone told me that unless I road race, stay away from the alloy subconnectors because they rust and crack.

Anyone heard of this, or have different thoughts on this? I want the frame to stiffen as much as possible.

Tao Te Ching

Established Member
Alloy is lighter. I have the Steeda 555-5330
1996-1998 Cobra 4130 Alloy Subframe Connector (Weld-In)
$109.95
. I have not had any problems with rust.

96CynRnr

Established Member
Not to be really rude... but $30? Isn't it worth it if it

1. Saves weight... every pound counts
2. Increases strength or reduces flex...
3. Lasts longer...
4. Any combination of the above?

Just my .02 cents

/darin

budguy1967

Established Member
Yeah, you are right...but when I called to reorder, the guy told me that it was a mistake unless I wanted an extra edge in Road Racing. He says he has had countless people return them because they rust easily, they crack easily. He says he does not even carry them anymore because of the number of returns.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by budguy1967
I have a 97 cobra coupe that is a weekend car. When I ordered some Steeda Subconnectors, the guy on the phone told me that unless I road race, stay away from the alloy subconnectors because they rust and crack.

Anyone heard of this, or have different thoughts on this? I want the frame to stiffen as much as possible.

You can always have the shop that welds them in wire brush and paint them after install to help combat rust.

Way2Slow

Established Member
Originally posted by PowerCobra98
If you want some of the best then get Kenny Brown supersubframe connectors. They're weld in, cross braced, and zinc plated.

I second that. The Kenny Brown connectors are really good IMHO and they are only $100

Users who are viewing this thread