Subframe install

66GT350

Established Member
Hey guys, slowly working on snagging all the items on my mod list. I just got a brand new (still in the wrapping) set of KB subs from a buddy this weekend for $50.00 :D . I'm thinking I should get them powder coated before installing. What should I expect to pay for an install and where should I go to get it done (muffler shop???) since I want them welded.

Thanks

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
A muffler shop would be a good place to get a quote from. Get ready to pay between $75-$150 for the install.

Lee

Established Member
You don't want to powder coat them before installing, that will mess up the weld area which needs to be clean. I've always welded them up "naked" and then painted them with Rustoleum spray paint. This has always worked well for me and I've not had any rust problems.

I've done it myself with a mig welder twice, and once I paid $50 for a shop to do it. Make sure the car is level and on the suspension before welding. You don't want to "weld in" a twisted frame. ;-)

Last edited:

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Originally posted by raven69david
I just picked up some Maximum Motorsport subbies for $40...brand new never installed.:beer:

Full Lengths??? If so, you got a steal.:)

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Forrest...check out this member's 03 Cobra

HERE

maybe you can come down to H-town and get them installed along with the undercarriage painted. :coolman:

The deal you got was a damn good one...are they the full-lengths?? Make sure whatever shop you take them to to get installed lifts the car by the WHEELS, not the frame. And if you powdercoat them before installing, the shop's just gonna have to sand off the areas to be welded.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Originally posted by URDONE
Is there an advantage to having them powercoated?

most companies will sell them in the bare steel or powdercoated. If you buy the bare steel you'll have to paint them after installing them to prevent rustin down the line. I think powdercoating is pretty much done for that reason, but you do have to expose the bare steel by sanding off the powdercoat to get a good weld.

Also, it's always better to get the full-lengths rather than the standard length.

Hope this helps.

66GT350

Established Member
Mike, that guy's 03 is just SICK!!!!!!! Yes they are full length and, after rethinking, I have some left over POR15 from doing undercarriage work on the Shelby, I'll just paint them up with that after they are in. Greta stuff....just don't get any on you, it's an SOB to get off :D

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Originally posted by tang350
Mike, that guy's 03 is just SICK!!!!!!! Yes they are full length and, after rethinking, I have some left over POR15 from doing undercarriage work on the Shelby, I'll just paint them up with that after they are in. Greta stuff....just don't get any on you, it's an SOB to get off :D

Yea...David's 03 is VERY nice.....even better with his latest "goodies". I put some undercarriage spray on the welding points, but didn't mask it off, my undercarriage is not very pretty. Another thing to take care of "down the road". :(

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
That 03 sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl with all those VW bugs and such in the background.:nonono: The 03 definetly makes that garage look "better." :thumbsup:

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Originally posted by raven69david
That 03 sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl with all those VW bugs and such in the background.:nonono: The 03 definetly makes that garage look "better." :thumbsup:

The owner of the '03 works at the VW shop, and I have to tell you that shop is the CLEANEST dealership shop I've EVER seen. Heated, well-light, painted concrete.

Originally posted by URDONE
How much was that entire suspension setup on that 03? Any clue?

No idea, but I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread