Sudden boost increase?

ILLBEBK04

Established Member
My 04 has the stock Eaton with a 2.8 pulley, CAI, magnaflow cat-back, and Bama tune. I have a Speed Hut boost gauge with recal and my max boost has been 13.5 psi. Which according to the pulley advertisement is right were I should be, it claims a 4-6 psi increase. The only change since that max boost is a Magnaflow X pipe with race cats. Had the car out today and made a solid third gear pull. When I got home and checked max boost it was 16 psi. Did I gain 2.5 psi with the x pipe or are these gauges not so reliable or is something else going on?

Alfie

Established Member
Never used that gauge before but if you really did go up in boost means that for what ever reason your engine isn't breathing as well as it was.

ILLBEBK04

Established Member
Never used that gauge before but if you really did go up in boost means that for what ever reason your engine isn't breathing as well as it was.
ok, this is my first forced induction car. I assuming with an increase in boost I'm pushing more air into the cylinders. Or, are you saying the increase in boost is a result of more back pressure in the exhaust system?

eaglesnick

Established Member
was just curious since you could be seeing more boost due to the cold/dense air, but 2.5psi seems to be quite a bit of an increase just due to the cold/dense air.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
was just curious since you could be seeing more boost due to the cold/dense air, but 2.5psi seems to be quite a bit of an increase just due to the cold/dense air.

Ive seen a 2psi swing between the heat of summer and the cold of winter. Where in Pa are you located OP?

ILLBEBK04

Established Member
Ive seen a 2psi swing between the heat of summer and the cold of winter. Where in Pa are you located OP?
About 35 minutes north of Philly in Montgomery county. So it was probably the difference in temperature between the runs. It was way colder on the 16 psi run.

Users who are viewing this thread