Sudden loss of power

Slowbra01

Established Member
Hopefully you guys can give me some direction and advice.

I drove the car a few days ago in the morning, and everything seemed fine. Later that day, almost as soon as the car starts, there was a change in the way it sounded. I cant describe it other than some sort of misfire, missing a cylinder, or some sort of exhaust leak. The car sounded off. I drove it around for a bit thinking it might clear up. The car idled just fine, no surging, but I could feel it lost some power.

I decided to pull the plugs. Some shafts had oil, even though i had the valve cover gaskets changed a couple years ago. I cleaned up everything, the plugs, the boots, and the shaft. Put everything back but car still ran the same. As the car was running, I pulled off the coil to see if it changed the way the motor ran, but no matter which coil i lifted off the plug, the motor maintained constant idle.

I then decided to change out the plugs, so the car now has new plugs (TR55's) with no change.

I was going to start disconnecting the injectors, but as soon as I touched the first clip, the tab broke. Considering how old everything is, I'm thinking I'm gonna break every single injector tab/clip.

Before I go any further, do you have any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else?

Car still feels strong on small jabs at the gas pedal, but the sound is definitely off. Idle is stable, no weird smell from exhaust.

I do have an SCT tuner that can data log, can that be used to help diagnose the problem?

Slowbra01

Established Member
I also wanted to add that I already did the simple things, cleaned the MAF and the IAC. I can't locate any vacuum leaks.

Also, I can hear ticking sound out of the exhaust, but I don't hear it at the engine bay.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Check the fuel pressure. Make sure it's within specs. You can also try unplugging the MAF and see if it runs any better.

Users who are viewing this thread