Suicide off Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge.

03 VENOM

Established Member
Hoover Dam bridge: 1st suicide -- of Californian -- is reported - latimes.com

"LAS VEGAS -- In what authorities are calling the first confirmed suicide at the new Hoover Dam bypass bridge, a 60-year-old San Jose woman leaped to her death from the 900-foot-high span Saturday.

Federal police had attempted to convince her to step back from a precipice along the pedestrian walkway, but to no avail.

The victim was identified as Patricia Oakley of San Jose, U.S. Bureau of Reclamation spokeswoman Rose Davis said Tuesday. Oakley’s body was found downstream Sunday by Colorado River kayakers.

Authorities said they hoped the grim development would not color the reputation of the span, with two concrete arches that stretch 1,060 feet across Black Canyon, just downstream from Hoover Dam.

“Hoover Dam sees almost a million people a year and most of them enjoy the remarkable views from that walkway,” said Davis. “This is a terrible tragedy but I’d like to echo the words of a colleague who said that somebody who decides to kill themselves is going to find a way to do it.”

Completed in late 2010 at a cost of $240 million, the graceful span known by many as the Mike O’Callaghan-Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge, links Nevada and Arizona along U.S. Highway 93.

The bridge quickly became a tourist draw for the Las Vegas area, popular as the longest bridge of its kind in the Western Hemisphere and the second-tallest bridge in the United States after the Royal Gorge Bridge in Colorado, federal transportation officials say.

The bridge is named after former Nevada Gov. Mike O’Callaghan and Pat Tillman, the former NFL player who was killed in Afghanistan by friendly fire.

Officers spent nearly 30 minutes trying to calm Oakley before she jumped to her death Saturday night. Police had been alerted that she was on the pedestrian walkway, behaving erratically.

Although officials had discussed the possibility of erecting a suicide barrier during construction of the span, they eventually decided that not even such precautions would prevent those intent on committing suicide."

03 VENOM

Established Member
I was out there just last summer.

253.jpg

247.jpg

242.jpg

SilvrStang

Voodoo Racing Innovations
Established Member
Amazing structure I drive over in once a month when we had down to Colorado River. Very sad news. That's 900 ***in feet....

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
I think I read something once that said most people die before they hit the ground because their heart stops :shrug:. Could be completely wrong but I think it had something to do with the realization of the fact that your about to die. Anyone have any info on this?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ I could see that happening. You're under such distress that you pretty much have a heart attack I would think? Either way that's a long way down to think about what you just did.. I bet the moment she jumped she was like FML.. and then kept saying that for ohh about 10 seconds or so maybe lol.

03 VENOM

Established Member
It's a strange way for 60 year old woman to kill herself. It's sad. Surprised she didn't just take a bottle of prescription pills

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Kind of have to scratch your head at how they get that info though, it makes sense to me but how in the hell would they be able to figure that out. "Oh hey bud, so your going to jump right? Ok sweet, can you do us a huge favor and strap this heart monitor on first? You know, for research purposes..."

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
It's a strange way for 60 year old woman to kill herself. It's sad. Surprised she didn't just take a bottle of prescription pills

Because some people want the public attention. It's not going to make the news if she quietly passes away in her home after od'ing on some pills. Guess it works right? Here we are talking about it on a car forum with members from all over the world.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
I'm surprised that no one has commited suicide dressed as Superman and jumping off something fist first yet.

03 VENOM

Established Member
Too bad people who commit suicide cant or won't get help. I cant even imagine how depressed someone has to be to do it

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
How did they find out her identity? There would be nothing left. It would've been insane to see that, I'm surprised there isn't a videofrom the dam.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
The Good: Not going to suffer and guaranteed to die and not just break something.

The Bad: If any kids saw this or the aftermath it could traumatize them for life.

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
The only viable reason that I could see for wanting to do it is if someone were to have crippling pain from some sort of disease/cancer etc. where their quality of life was so bad that living was unbearable. A family friend of ours committed suicide two years ago so I did some research to understand what sort of mental state he might have been in. Ended up reading a few articles about people with debilitating diseases like I mentioned who spent time with their families before going to Sweden or some European nation where they were legally and painlessly euthanized. Kind of creepy to set your own date and time of death but I can see where those people were coming from at least. People who do it because they think their lives are too hard or stressful have zero respect at all from me.

03 VENOM

Established Member
How did they find out her identity? There would be nothing left. It would've been insane to see that, I'm surprised there isn't a videofrom the dam.

It sounds like she landed in the water. Not as bad I guess than landing on a rock

Users who are viewing this thread