Summons Law in NY

BluePastU

Established Member
I have a traffic violation (made a right on No Turn on Red). It has been delayed for quite some time. My violation date was 2/07 and im scheduled to go in 7/27. It has been delayed I believe 3 times. I read in some states that there is a certain amount of time (in this particular state it was 179 days, forget which state). Is this true in NY? I have not gotten another postponement letter, so im guessing the cop is finally gonna show, will not show but just doesn't want to deal with it anymore, or that extending it would put it over that 179 time period. Has anyone else had any experience with this or know about it?

Thanks for any info

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
I am still going to trial on tickets I wrote almost a year ago. The process is much faster where I work now though. I used to work downstate, about 1 hour from the city, and it wasn't uncommon to talk to someone who had been issued a UTT in Poughkeepsie, and didn't have an initial appearance date 3 months after the date of the violation because the court system is so backed up.

Dates may have been delayed for several reasons... I have been sent on several security details (Threat level Orange = $$$$) over the past 2 years that meant that I would be unable to attend court I have also had tickets that defendants have reschduled and rescheduled over and over again.

Your day will come. Your best bet is to just wait it out... Talk to the Officer/Deputy/Trooper (If you have a clean record) and ask for a reduction to a no points violation like 1229c (Seatbelt).

Last edited:

BluePastU

Established Member
UPDATE :

Wohoo! Just got back from court. Was a nervous wreck...lol. Went in, judge called me up with the policeman, he asked for the information from the cop and he said he didn't recall the events from that night or have any info. The judge didn't even have me talk, just dismissed the case. I dont know if the cop was just trying to be nice and let me off or he just really didn't remember what happened that night, either way I shook his hand afterwards. :D

BluePastU

Established Member
Definetly, I was real nice at the time he gave me the ticket, probably cuz I was scared as fack, lol (first time getting a ticket). Maybe he remembered that I didn't give him a hard time and decided to be nice in return :) Anyways, im just happy to be off the hook.

Users who are viewing this thread