Sunday wheels and tire thread

Rex Racer

Established Member
"Welcome to the voodoo world of wheel offset, width, and tire size." -someone else on another forum

Currently I am running American Racing Villains 20x8.5 +38mm with a 245/35/20 tire on the front and 20x10 +38mm with a 275/35/20 on the rear. The rear tires ever so gingerly stick out past the fender:

2015-05-03 10.50.39.jpg

This actually does not bother me, nor has anyone else mentioned, "HUR HUR are you driving a 4x4?" I would not want the rears to stick out any further than this, and preferably I would like them flush with the fender.

I have been trying to teach myself to fish - trying to understand offset rather than come to the forums and continually ask, "Hey guys will these fit?"

My understanding of offset is that a positive offset moves the wheel inside the wheel well and a negative (or less positive) offset moves the wheel toward the fender. I know Roush offers 18x10 wheels with 45mm of offset and from what I remember they are flush with the front and rear fenders. My current setup has the same width in the rear with a smaller offset, so it makes sense to me that my rears would be further toward the fender.

Is my thinking correct?

If so, I feel confident that I can find some wheels and ask the right questions to vendors. I am looking at Forgestar F14 or Enkei PF-01. If I go for the Forgestars I will probably stay with 20x8.5 and 20x10. If I chose the Enkei PF-01 then I will go to 18x9.5 and 18x10.

Users who are viewing this thread