SUPER SNAKE on ebay

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
Did I miss something? I didn't think Super Snakes were "limited" only the amount of time it takes to get one? :shrug:

I would be hard pressed to pay more for an SS then a KR...even at eBay prices.....but if you need an SS now, there ya go.

ff500

Established Member
Any Gt500 owner can convert there their car to an SS, it's about $32,000 plus the cost of a Gt500. There was a limit of about 2000 but I don't think they've hit that # yet. That persons nuts thinking he'll get $200,000 for it.

skyhighsd

Established Member
To me its crazy but to others it might be worth it :shrug: I agree if you want one have it built for a lot less! I dont care about the SS look at the back ground in those pics:eek:

5.0 guy

Established Member
It's a slick looking car but I personally don't like the white lettering on the head rests,plus the blk leather looks a differen't shade blk then the rest of the seat. I would think for a $28,000 I'd be picky about small things like that. I definately like the hood and wheels though!

69b302

Established Member
Well when you think about it, the Super Snake is a modern day BOSS 429. It will be interesting to see where the market goes on this car.

The Boss 429 was built to qualify the Boss 429 motor for NASCAR. The Boss 429 was a Ford produced vechicle, and not an after title modification package. I do not think there is much similarity between the two cars, if you really look at why and how they are/were produced. The market typically has not been favorable to the after title upgrades. Should be interesting to see if the Shelby name changes this.

Last edited:

5.0 guy

Established Member
Unless it's 1 of 2 like the $5,000,000 SS that sold on aution I don't think they will be as spectacular in value at least for a long time! The A/C that sold on Barrett Jackson was Shellby's personal car he used in a road race and the other car of the two was custum built for Bill Cosby. Cosby was on the tonight show shortly after the record sale telling his story of when he took delivery of it in the 60's, it was pretty funny! All my cars are limited production vehicles with low miles, I'm sure they will hold more value than some, but at least for twenty years I don't expect to much.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The Boss 429 was built to qualify the Boss 429 motor for NASCAR. The Boss 429 was a Ford produced vechicle, and not an after title modification package. I do not think there is much similarity between the two cars, if you really look at why and how they are/were produced. The market typically has not been favorable to the after title upgrades. Should be interesting to see if the Shelby name changes this.

The unique fact about the Super Snake is that it starts life as a VIN'ed GT500 Shelby from the Ford assy. line and is still a fully qualified Ford GT500 Shelby when it leaves Shelby, but much more powerful in the 725 h.p. configuration, not to mention the suspension and brake upgrades. Another difference is that the builder/designer of the Super Snake also had a significant contribution to the Ford assy. line GT500 itself.

"Most", any "conversions" that I can think of start life as lesser cars, V6's, GT's etc. and then get transformed into something else.<<These were not special/unique cars to start with and are modded into something else with a completely different identity.<<The Super Snakes don't seem to fit this "mold".

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Did I miss something? I didn't think Super Snakes were "limited" only the amount of time it takes to get one? :shrug:

They are definitely "limited number" built cars at this time. 1000 2008 models and originally 1250 2007's, but that has been scaled back to 1000 now.<<This will brake down into 600h.p. and 725h.p. It is now mid 2008 and just 100 or so Super Snakes have been built and SAI has suspended taking deposits because they are so far out in the build schedule, like well into late next year for the cars that have already been ordered and deposits taken. This leads me to believe that they will not be piling on more work (in the form of a 2009 Super Snake offering) when they are so far behind currently, but that could change. Two additional authorized vendors are also converting cars, one in TX and one in RI, but to me the Shelby Las Vegas plant would be my only choice. So far, 2000 Super Snakes total are planned, broken down into 2007 and 2008 and then 600h.p. and 725h.p. of each year currently offered.

And yes, if someone now decides they want a Super Snake now, and they do not have a $10K deposit placed and a build number assigned, it will be quite a long wait. Right now cars are being built with deposit dates from last July/August, if that tells you anything about the wait.

The KR's also moved through this same SAI Las Vegas shop for finishing touches recently, so that also slowed Super Snake production.

R

Last edited:

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member

I thought Ford outsourced the final assembly of the Boss 429's to Kar Kraft in Brighton Michigan? I think they were originally built with 428CJ engines and drove on to transports at the Rouge plant and then shipped to Kar Kraft for the conversion. Once completed they were shipped back to the Rouge Plant for distribution. Very much like the Shelby GT package currently available.

Last edited:

Fastfords

Established Member
I thought Ford outsourced the final assembly of the Boss 429's to Kar Kraft in Brighton Michigan? I think they were originally built with 428CJ engines and drove on to transports at the Rouge plant and then shipped to Kar Kraft for the conversion. Once completed they were shipped back to the Rouge Plant for distribution. Very much like the Shelby GT package currently available.

Correct, KarKraft actually installed the Boss motors after modifying the engine compartment. I have been told the cars were shipped to them with 6 cylinder slave motors just to make the cars driveable on and off the transports. No reason to install a big heavy FE motor only to remove it again. Remember that the 428's and 429's share no common parts. They are totally different motor family's. One thing that makes them ultra rare is that the Boss 429 motor was not available in any form in any other car. SS cars are still using the same motor as a GT500, just a higher horsepower rating with warranty in the case of the 605hp TVS motor and no warranty in the case of the 725hp KB motor. Another thing that all these high dollar collectable cars have in common is that at one time or another they were pretty much worth nothing. No one knows how much these cars will be worth in 20 years or even if the future owner will be able to afford the gasoline to run it.....

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Correct, KarKraft actually installed the Boss motors after modifying the engine compartment. I have been told the cars were shipped to them with 6 cylinder slave motors just to make the cars driveable on and off the transports. No reason to install a big heavy FE motor only to remove it again. Remember that the 428's and 429's share no common parts. They are totally different motor family's. One thing that makes them ultra rare is that the Boss 429 motor was not available in any form in any other car. SS cars are still using the same motor as a GT500, just a higher horsepower rating with warranty in the case of the 605hp TVS motor and no warranty in the case of the 725hp KB motor. Another thing that all these high dollar collectable cars have in common is that at one time or another they were pretty much worth nothing. No one knows how much these cars will be worth in 20 years or even if the future owner will be able to afford the gasoline to run it.....

Gasoline, Oil, that is another serious issue for near future thought. The one main factor that I can think of when comparing the vintage muscle car era to the modern muscle car era is that in the old days there was no "collectability" to any of these cars when the were sold new, they were used, abused and in many cases thrown away. Now, the reality that "performance sells" and a wide variety of enthusiasts are out there to buy performance, both old and new, creates a different market than the previous "use it, abuse it, and throw it away market". Now specialty cars, especially limited production/high power level cars are immediately recognized and snatched up, some by people who will "use" them, some by collector car market speculators (investors) who have followed the trends from the past performance cars closely.

I am trying to remember...................there is common engine part with the 429 and another Ford engine...............is it the 351C and 429/460 that share a common distributor, it will interchange?. At first I thought it is the FE, but no it is the Cleveland.

R

Last edited:

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
Wow. Just buy a GT500 for 50K, pay the 35k for the upgrade and be done with it. That is insane!

5.0 guy

Established Member
Robert M great point about the difference of how cars were purchased and used back then and the purpose now, Everyone is building some kind of limited production something because the market is so hot with buyers trying to be the one with that serious collectable to either drive or save for higher value. I'm right in the middle, most of the time I'm conserving miles then some days I'm done with saving it for the future and throw a couple hundred miles on it for fun. One thing that is nice about not driving them every day is that I definately appreciate them more when I do!

CGoeschel

Established Member
Whats with the "green coolant"? All GT500's come with the gold coolant from the factory. Why would they go with green?

Users who are viewing this thread