Supercharge my 5.0 or swap a 4.6l 3v?

JoeS197

Established Member
Ok so I'm debating on wether to upgrade the internals and supercharge my 5.0 or swap in the 4.6l and tr3650 with 52,000mi from the wrecked 2006 gt I bought anyone care to point me in the right direction? I know the 4.6 will have better gas mileage and make 100 more hp than the 5.0 but I'm not sure if it will pass nazi smog inspections (I live in Cali) and I have a bit more knowledge on the pushrod 5.0 than the new mod motors. :beer:

Johnf78

Established Member
My vote would be to upgrade the internals and supercharge the fox. Now if you were gonna swap a coyote in there the vote would be different.

wheelhopper

Established Member
What is your final HP goal? If you want much more than 375rwhp out of the 4.6 you will have to supercharge anyway. Obviously simpler to stick with the kind of motor that came in the car. Now if you are planning to race the car in a specific class, where a near stock motor will be competitive, and you want a reliable 350hp motor that will run for over 100K miles, then put in a the 4.6

SVTPete83

Established Member
The 3v is the red headed step child of Mustang motors. It sucks. You don't see too many people doing 3v swaps into anything. There is a reason for that. Stick with the 5.0. You can make it plenty fast with California smog legal parts.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
The 3v is the red headed step child of Mustang motors. It sucks. You don't see too many people doing 3v swaps into anything. There is a reason for that. Stick with the 5.0. You can make it plenty fast with California smog legal parts.

Yeah I don't know why they even bothered to build it, they already were producing the 4 valve engines before the 3 valver came out, it will indeed be a red headed step child. Stick with the pushrod motor of go 4 valve IMO

SinisterMustang

Established Member
Our opinion would be to stick with what you have! The pushrod 5.0L is a bulletproof engine capable of large horsepower numbers if built correctly! A supercharger along with forged internals would be more than enough to put a smile across your face!

Users who are viewing this thread