supercharge or turbo svtf?

FocusSVT0004

Established Member
what is a better way to get more power but stay reliable in a svt Focus? turboing vs. supercharging? I am leaning more towards supercharging because i feel like the supercharger will give power where the svtf lacks it the most the midrange. any thoughts? ideas? suggestions? thanks in advance everyone

Jolly Jerboa

Kangaroo Mouse
Established Member
What are you trying to accomplish with the car? More power yes, but for what? Just so for regular driving, or are you going to track the car. There are advantages to both methods.

Aside from the power delivery differences, there are other considerations:
Are you going to be doing the work yourself?
What's your budget?

SilverBug

Help locate turbo kit

Does anyone know where to get a turbo kit for the SVT because Xio turbo kits arent sending any more units out

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
JRSC can be installed in half a day in the driveway, I've done it. Only moderate power gains unless you overdrive the blower. Cheap and easy, my 2 requirements were def met. Super reliable, barely working the engine. E-

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
If you got money, Vortech H.O. with a over drive crank, and built motor... ummm, nice.

FocusSVT0004

Established Member
I'm looking for reliability, and performance. I want to be able to drive the car on the streets, but also take it to tracks and stuff as well. I'm planning on doin the work myself.

ucntseemeee

2003 SVT Focus
Established Member
I'd go supercharged..just my preference. however you'll get more power out of turbo kits. and the reliability is really based on the mileage of the car, and what you want to produce. once you go forced induction on a SVT, you limit your reliability to your driving habits.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
I drive mine everyday, and I'm pretty sure I make more power then most guys on here. Reliability is in the tune, parts and the maintance. Not the power levels. I've you through on 20 lbs of boost ont he stock internals, then you sir, are dumb, and your motor will blow. At the same time, you through on 4lbs of boost, and have a shitty tune, you are dumb, and your motor will blow.

CaysE

SVT Focus Guru
Established Member
Personally, if you have the money, I'd spend it on a good turbo setup with a street tune and a race tune if you plan to track it now and then. I have a JRSC myself and plan to do a lot of work to it, but I just like superchargers in general and am of the opinion that if I want a ton of power, I'll get a car that's meant for it.

In reality, a turbo can be tuned to give you power wherever you want it... if it's midrange power you want, a smaller turbo can give you the same powerband as a JRSC and probably better torque. Back in the day, the general idea was that SC = torque and turbo = HP, but it's just not true anymore. Turbos have come a long way and can do pretty much whatever you want them to.

Users who are viewing this thread