supercharger boost controller

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
Is there a way to control the boost in a kenne bell supercharger 2.8h in a shelby gt500 2009.

The only real way is to change the pulley size
If you really want it to run strong or pussy weak ask your tuner to make a real fat tune and take the timing out of it
But then get another actual race tune

andymarkv

Established Member
This is an interesting question...
I always wondered if the bypass valve on Eaton blowers could be hooked to a stepper motor (similar to the throttle) and you could "adjust" the boost like that?
Obviously it isn't something that would be easy to do....and I've never heard of it ever being done.

If I understand correctly, turbo cars are easy because the boost controller can "vent" the boost on the charge pipe.
We don't have that option.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
This is an interesting question...
I always wondered if the bypass valve on Eaton blowers could be hooked to a stepper motor (similar to the throttle) and you could "adjust" the boost like that?
Obviously it isn't something that would be easy to do....and I've never heard of it ever being done.

If I understand correctly, turbo cars are easy because the boost controller can "vent" the boost on the charge pipe.
We don't have that option.

Could be done, centri guys use a blow off valve to vent excess boost out.

Turbos are controlled on the exhaust side, not the charge side. Same principle though.

andymarkv

Established Member
Hmmmm.... This is kind of butch...but I wonder if you could fab up an adjustable stop (kind of like a throttle stop) on the bypass and adjust the opening of the bypass at WOT to the level of boost desired. Then just take the stop out if you wanted full boost?
There must be a reason why thats not a good idea?

Obviously you'd have to tune it for each boost setting..... But I supposed that's no different than having a tune for pump/race gas.

Last edited:

MichaelFreedman

Established Member
Limiting boost by dumping air is a horrible way to do what you are trying to do. By dumping air, and lowering pressure, the actual airflow increases quite a bit as seen by the supercharger. You end up way out of the island on the supercharger and the efficiency goes way down either generating lots of heat or using up a lot of power to turn the blower. The ONLY way to limit boost is to choke the air going into the charger. This would need to be done with some kind of throttle plate that would close at some boost. This will keep the heat down and actually reduce power taken by the charger.

Mike

andymarkv

Established Member
This is interesting....
Looks like Audi is using a bypass valve on the TVS1320 to limit boost by controlling it with the computer.
I realize this is a different application, but I bet its fairly similar to our M122 or TVS.

APR 3.0 TFSI Supercharger Pulley Upgrade

APR said:
Many enthusiasts coming from Audi’s history of turbocharged vehicles expected massive increases in torque, at lower RPMs, simply by adding an ECU Upgrade. Unlike turbochargers, roots style superchargers are positive displacement meaning they provide a fixed amount of air flow based on engine speed. On the 3.0TFSI Audi chose to use a bypass valve that bleeds off boost pressure when requested. Keeping the valve almost completely shut at lower RPMS allows them to make respectable torque, and, opening the valve at higher RPMs allows them to keep horsepower within their marketing goal. Consequently, the APR Stage I ECU upgrade provides a relatively low increase in torque but an exceptional increase in power.
The 3.0 TFSI uses an Eaton Twin Vortices Series (TVS) Roots-type Supercharger unit, which features a four-lobe rotor design to safely run at high operating speeds.
The factory supercharger unit features an electronically controlled bypass valve which bleeds off boost pressure when mass airflow and load levels increase past the power requirements set from the factory. The APR ECU upgrade prevents boost from bleeding back into the intake system, resulting in higher boost levels. However, boost pressure is still limited by the size and the speed of the supercharger.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
This is interesting....
Looks like Audi is using a bypass valve on the TVS1320 to limit boost by controlling it with the computer.
I realize this is a different application, but I bet its fairly similar to our M122 or TVS.

APR 3.0 TFSI Supercharger Pulley Upgrade

2013 GT500 does the same thing I believe, which is how they are getting so much power out of just a tune.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I ran a wastegate on my Procharger for a while with great success (even though the opposition said it wouldn't). While it won't be as easy on a TS/Roots type blower, I think it could still be done successfully with the right type of bypass valve/controller. Also, dumping air actually cools the air charge just a bit when compared with running at the higher pressure from not dumping it (at the same SC speed).

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
2013 GT500 does the same thing I believe, which is how they are getting so much power out of just a tune.

It doesn't. You can pin the valve closed and it will still make the same boost. From an production standpoint, it wouldn't make sense to spin a supercharger any faster than it needs to.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
That controller does make some sense. You would put the smallest pulley you desire and the controller would keep your boost levels where you'd like by bypassing air so long as it is under the max rated boost for the pulley you chose.

FischerMotorspo

Established Member
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I thought this would answer the original question.

It's not a cheap solution but it works great. I was able to achieve 0psi to 33psi. It's a large valve and is VERY responsive in the middle of its PW range but I was able to step in 2-3 psi increments. I was also able to control the ramp rate of the boost rise during throttle tip in which helps prevent wheel slip big screws are notorious for.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1002896-An-Amazing-build-coming-to-the-Texas-Mile-I-think-he-s-going-for-the-record-WOW

Users who are viewing this thread