Supercharger disassembly (2013)

claybeatz

Established Member
Hey guys, removed my supercharger cuz I blew my motor and need to pull it out the top (no lift). Anyways, looks like metal got through the intercooler. Upon closer inspection, the rotors look fine but some metal still may have gone up through the blower since there were some pieces near the bypass and my question is, is disassembly as easy as removing the bolts on the front and pulling the rotor packs out straight out? Any tips? I want to try to clean everything up real good before putting this on a new motor.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
It's not that hard. You will need to remove the bolts around the snount and pull it apart. Breaking the seal between the plate on the snout the supercharger can be done with a big screwdriver and some small divits between them for that purpose. They use an anaerobic gasket compound to assemble it and it doesn't harden, but it also seals the surface and may take a little force to separate them. I was able to take mine apart without losing the seal for the front part of snout and the center plate without a need to add oil at reassembly. The rotor pack just lifts out. There's little chance any metal pieces got past the intercooler. The most likely place to get metal into the supercharger would be the bypass.

To clean the intercooler, you can get a 5 gal bucket and make a grease dissolving solution in the bucket , but mark the level of fluid in the bucket with the intercooler in it, so as to keep that solution out of the inside of the supercharger. Let it soak and use a high pressure spray rig or car wash to see how much of the caked on grime lets loose. Repeat as you need. There will be oil in the bottom of the intake, but it should be baked on. You are likely to find metal there.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
It's not that hard. You will need to remove the bolts around the snount and pull it apart. Breaking the seal between the plate on the snout the supercharger can be done with a big screwdriver and some small divits between them for that purpose. They use an anaerobic gasket compound to assemble it and it doesn't harden, but it also seals the surface and may take a little force to separate them. I was able to take mine apart without losing the seal for the front part of snout and the center plate without a need to add oil at reassembly. The rotor pack just lifts out. There's little chance any metal pieces got past the intercooler. The most likely place to get metal into the supercharger would be the bypass.

To clean the intercooler, you can get a 5 gal bucket and make a grease dissolving solution in the bucket , but mark the level of fluid in the bucket with the intercooler in it, so as to keep that solution out of the inside of the supercharger. Let it soak and use a high pressure spray rig or car wash to see how much of the caked on grime lets loose. Repeat as you need. There will be oil in the bottom of the intake, but it should be baked on. You are likely to find metal there.

I've enjoyed the informational tidbits from you over the last week.

claybeatz

Established Member

I appreciate the help catmonkey!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I thought I'd mention that Ford often recommends replacing things like coolers when metal gets in them. Just bear in mind if you have a lot of small metal shards in the lower intake that could have gotten lodged in the intercooler. they might stay lodged until one day they let loose and get sucked into a cylinder. This definetely applies to your oil cooler. Don't reuse it, get a new one.

claybeatz

Established Member
I thought I'd mention that Ford often recommends replacing things like coolers when metal gets in them. Just bear in mind if you have a lot of small metal shards in the lower intake that could have gotten lodged in the intercooler. they might stay lodged until one day they let loose and get sucked into a cylinder. This definetely applies to your oil cooler. Don't reuse it, get a new one.
Anything else you recommend replacing besides the oil cooler and intercooler?

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys, removed my supercharger cuz I blew my motor and need to pull it out the top (no lift). Anyways, looks like metal got through the intercooler. Upon closer inspection, the rotors look fine but some metal still may have gone up through the blower since there were some pieces near the bypass and my question is, is disassembly as easy as removing the bolts on the front and pulling the rotor packs out straight out? Any tips? I want to try to clean everything up real good before putting this on a new motor.

Thanks!
Wow......sorry to hear about your motor bro!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
What type of failure?
Might be worth grabbing a Ford manual to see what they do based on your failure.
On a positive note you can now upgrade as you repair and many mods are MUCH easier while the motor is disassembled.
The supercharger could be sent in for inspection/porting/etc. for ultimate piece of mind and increased power.
Let’s see some pics?
Good luck man.
-J

claybeatz

Established Member
What type of failure?
Might be worth grabbing a Ford manual to see what they do based on your failure.
On a positive note you can now upgrade as you repair and many mods are MUCH easier while the motor is disassembled.
The supercharger could be sent in for inspection/porting/etc. for ultimate piece of mind and increased power.
Let’s see some pics?
Good luck man.
-J
That’s kind of what I was thinking as well, I picked up another car and plan on parking this one in my dads warehouse while I work on it this next year or however long it takes. Any suggestions on where to source a manual and which one? Luckily my boss is a beast at building Ferrari engines so he said he will help me out with it too.

Me and my buddy are pulling the motor this coming weekend (11/12th) so I will shoot some pics but it’s all pointing towards a rod going through the passenger side of the block.

Thanks for your help too!

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
That’s kind of what I was thinking as well, I picked up another car and plan on parking this one in my dads warehouse while I work on it this next year or however long it takes. Any suggestions on where to source a manual and which one? Luckily my boss is a beast at building Ferrari engines so he said he will help me out with it too.

Me and my buddy are pulling the motor this coming weekend (11/12th) so I will shoot some pics but it’s all pointing towards a rod going through the passenger side of the block.

Thanks for your help too!
Anytime.
I’m actually just looking for a 5.8 SVT blower case for saving (wanted to keep one with the car), so I would be interested in a trade + cash for a clean very low mile stock TVS that I know the ownership history.
Several of us here might have good stock parts if it helps your rebuild.
Do you have the SVTPP? SVTTP?
That’s great you have a location to work on it plus the SVTP knowledge.
-J

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not saying replace the intercooler. I'd base that decision on what you find in the bottom of the manifold. If you want to post pics when you get to that point, I'll share what I would do in your situation. The oil cooler is something I'd replace. If the oil pump picked up any metal, there's a good chance that got pumped into the cooler.

If you're doing the work yourself, the Ford service manual is really necessary. You should be able to get the one Ford techs use through Helm, Inc. There may be a few special tools you'll need along the way too.

claybeatz

Established Member
Anytime.
I’m actually just looking for a 5.8 SVT blower case for saving (wanted to keep one with the car), so I would be interested in a trade + cash for a clean very low mile stock TVS that I know the ownership history.
Several of us here might have good stock parts if it helps your rebuild.
Do you have the SVTPP? SVTTP?
That’s great you have a location to work on it plus the SVTP knowledge.
-J
I will keep that in mind man! It’s a track pack car with only 40k miles.

claybeatz

Established Member
I'm not saying replace the intercooler. I'd base that decision on what you find in the bottom of the manifold. If you want to post pics when you get to that point, I'll share what I would do in your situation. The oil cooler is something I'd replace. If the oil pump picked up any metal, there's a good chance that got pumped into the cooler.

If you're doing the work yourself, the Ford service manual is really necessary. You should be able to get the one Ford techs use through Helm, Inc. There may be a few special tools you'll need along the way too.
Understood, will definitely be picking up that service manual. I will post some pictures too, especially of the carnage once I tear into it.

Users who are viewing this thread