supercharging the cobra? advice

Dino S.

Established Member
lately i've been thinking of mapping out the plan to take steps necessary to supercharge my 96 cobra. I am examining two of the following possibilities.

around christmas time build the shortblock with low comp forged parts from SHM (1400 bucks), throw in another 1000 or so for machine work, new bolts, etc etc etc.

around spring break build the fuel system and purchase ignition parts, including timing retard, etc etc.

middle of next summer by the blower (considering vortech S-trim and KB), run about 12- 14lbs

And hopefully go fast safely and reliably ever after.

-OR- Aroudn christmas time buy the S-trim, run the 6 lb pulley, and then around summer do the whole kit-n-kaboodle and run 12-14 lbs....

A couple of things to keep in mind. Driveability is very important to me. I've owned a supercharged 5.0 in the past and it ran fairly well until it exploded. Also, due to the fact that i'll be doing the supplemental parts that dont add power before the actual supercharger, will my driveability suffer badly? (I am mainly referring to the low comp pistons, big fuel pump, injectors, etc)

And referring to the second option, can I really and truly run 6 lbs safely for an extended period of time? How long have those running this amount of boost had their shortblock intact for? How many of you blew yours up?

And the final question referring to the second option: What is a good blower I can buy now, keeping most of the car stock, and later upgrade to make a 500 rwhp beast. IE. 6 lbs now, 14 lbs later.

thanks svt performance!

dino

Dino S.

Established Member
okay there are more blown cobras around these days than stock ones. Somebody's gotta have some experience to offer me!

thanks

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Well its matter of opinion. Do you want instant gratification, or delay it? Supercharging it now, it will haul ass, but you have to be careful not to blow it up, although a blown 4.6 should last longer than a blown 5.0. Or you can do it the other way, where you know you will be safe. You shouldnt have any driveability problems doing it either way. Your car is gonna be fast as shit either way within the next year if you keep to your plan.

Andrew

myblk32v

Established Member
Originally posted by Dino S.

around christmas time build the shortblock with low comp forged parts from SHM (1400 bucks), throw in another 1000 or so for machine work, new bolts, etc etc etc.

Is that all it would cost. Cause i was thinking about doing a forged build up on my 96 so i could put a blower on it and be safe.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Number one, how many miles does your CObra have on it?

Number two, it's not necessary to buy ignition control parts. Upgraded coil packs and possibly an MSD just for extra spark is okay but not completely necessary. You can control everything through a well tuned chip that has been programmed on a dyno.

Number three, I'm assuming the prices you quoted for your engine include you doing the labor? Granted you are accurate on the prices for parts and some machine work but most shops will charge you an arm and a leg to touch a DOHC engine(unless they are a Mustang shop).

Personally with my '97 I will be doing everything at once. I did most of my mods on my '98 a step at a time and you get into the habit of not sticking to upgrading like you should or beat the hell out of stock parts because the power is there.

ON EDIT: Fuel, your fuel system should be fine for the boost you plan on running, minus the injectors and pump. The lines and fuel rails are good to about 600 hp. Most kits you get should come with an extra fuel pump but you will need to get at least some 42 lb. injectors. I also suggest dropping the FMU and do all fuel tuning and enrichment with a properly calibrated MAF and chip.

Last edited:

STANGBUM

Love that Boost
Established Member
Had my 97 S/C for 2 years now, no problems so far(knock on wood) except to much tire spin. But help that with springs and subs. Total cost ,parts and labor + 4:10 gear 5 grand.:-D

Dino S.

Established Member
car has 60k miles, but i feel like before i owned her she may have been abused or possibly driven harder than one would if they were to plan on say, keeping the car. She burns a bit of oil but other than that the car feels pretty solid.

Stangbum: can you email me the details of your setup? 401 rwhp for 5 grand sounds good to me! [email protected]

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
car has 60k miles, but i feel like before i owned her she may have been abused or possibly driven harder than one would if they were to plan on say, keeping the car. She burns a bit of oil but other than that the car feels pretty solid.

Stangbum: can you email me the details of your setup? 401 rwhp for 5 grand sounds good to me! [email protected]

If your engine is burning oil do the rebuild first. Mod engines very rarely burn oil, very very rarely.

STANGBUM

Love that Boost
Established Member

Really no details, what you see is what I had installed. (turn key installation w/parts and labor, from Custom Performance out of Charlotte, NC.
I bought the Vortech V2 kit, came with everthing (almost) that you would need. The MSD DIS4 was recommend to control detonation,timing retard, etc.. Also the gauges recommend. Also an in-tank fuel pump (255lph) was recommend but I opted not to install, but now wish I had. The in-line pump that came with kit is loud. Did not need to change injectors.
I did change the chip, the one that came with Vortech kit run the car to lean, they do that for safety. Bought an Autologic chip and had it burned/installed when I had it dyno tuned. the chip was extra $ above the 5 grand. but well worth it.
But you will need to work on suspension at some point.

Last edited:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by STANGBUM
I did change the chip, the one that came with Vortech kit run the car to lean, they do that for safety. Bought an Autologic chip and had it burned/installed when I had it dyno tuned. the chip was extra $ above the 5 grand. but well worth it.
But you will need to work on suspension at some point.

The chips that come from Vortech are super rich for safety, think you have the two terms mixed up.

Users who are viewing this thread