Supersnake Axle Back

turbo

Established Member
So not doing a tune EVER. Don't want to have to worry about "bad gas" LOL. So my wallet is 1330.00 lighter after the SS Axle back order. My question is simple. Borla offers a midpipe to complete the cat-back. From what I can find it is the same diameter as the factory mid pipe. Looking at the factory pipe on a lift, there doesn't look to be any radical bends or crimps in it. For another 383.00, is there any reason to buy this? Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:

coyotehp

Established Member
If you already have a airaid filter and res delete (with no tune) and add a axle back, will that put you on the border line of needing a tune? I'm kicking around the idea of a ss kit also but don't want to mess with the tune.

paluka21

Established Member
If you already have a airaid filter and res delete (with no tune) and add a axle back, will that put you on the border line of needing a tune? I'm kicking around the idea of a ss kit also but don't want to mess with the tune.

No way.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member

The axle backs don't effect anything but the sound of the car and they save some weight. You could even run a Ford Racing twin 65 TB w/ no tune and still be good.

Mainn

Established Member
The axle backs don't effect anything but the sound of the car and they save some weight. You could even run a Ford Racing twin 65 TB w/ no tune and still be good.

Except for the fact you'd run slightly lean.

OP, you do realize that a proper tune will take into consideration a "bad tank of gas"? Don't let that put you off a tune, if the tuner knows what they're doing you have nothing to worry about. I mean, just look at how many people are modded and tuned on this forum without a blown engine! Just to be sure, I even took my car to a dyno after I tuned it and I know for a fact there's plenty of room left in it for a bad tank of gas.

Replacing the mid-pipe only is ok tune-wise. However, you won't pick up much noticeable difference except for a louder exhaust note. Replacing both headers and a catted mid-pipe would need a tune though, so you can't really win in this situation.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I feel like these cars are too fun not to mod, you don't have to go crazy but a 13-6 kit makes a world of difference and the car will still be safe and reliable.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
Except for the fact you'd run slightly lean.

OP, you do realize that a proper tune will take into consideration a "bad tank of gas"? Don't let that put you off a tune, if the tuner knows what they're doing you have nothing to worry about. I mean, just look at how many people are modded and tuned on this forum without a blown engine! Just to be sure, I even took my car to a dyno after I tuned it and I know for a fact there's plenty of room left in it for a bad tank of gas.

Replacing the mid-pipe only is ok tune-wise. However, you won't pick up much noticeable difference except for a louder exhaust note. Replacing both headers and a catted mid-pipe would need a tune though, so you can't really win in this situation.

Incorrect.

In fact with those mods and NO TUNE. You run TOO RICH!! it's 10.7-10.8 afr. you should be 11.3 range. the tune LEANS out the fuel, and adds timing.

I got my S/S exhaust in on Thursday. Wait until you see how small this setup is.... there's nothing much to it for 1335.00

The pipes did come packaged very well.

Last edited:

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Incorrect.

In fact with those mods and NO TUNE. You run TOO RICH!! it's 10.7-10.8 afr. you should be 11.3 range. the tune LEANS out the fuel, and adds timing.

I got my S/S exhaust in on Thursday. Wait until you see how small this setup is.... there's nothing much to it for 1335.00

I know the stock mufflers are huge compared to the SS mufflers.

turbo

Established Member
Excited to get it. Just to be clear, I have nothing against a tune, I just do not want to mess with the computer at all. The jokes about bad gas are from tuners who cant admit that there is really no such thing as bad gas, unless we are talking about gas thats been sitting in an unsealed container for years. Thats an excuse that tuners use when their "canned Tunes that work for thousands of cars" gives you problems. What it means is all though it worked on all the other cars, It's not working on yours. thats a tune issue. Not bad gas. they just wont admit it. My father and grand father are scientists for fuel companies. They both claim fuel is so refined these days that winning the lottery is easier than finding gas at a modern pump that will cause your car to throw a code. How many stock cars throw a code from bad gas? Zero. Cars with canned tunes? Many. Food for thought.

Mainn

Established Member
Incorrect.

The reason people install a larger throttle body is for more airflow. Otherwise, what's the point? More airflow without updating the MAF transfer function for that = leaner than what's set in the base fuel table.

In theory, you should also update the drive-by-wire tables to compensate for the TB, but it's not critical with the 65mm.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
stock tune with 65mm throttlebody and frpp res delete and airiad filter was 10.8 afr.

tuned with same mods is 11.3 afr.

Leaner mix after the tune.

this can be seen on dyno datalogs and the dash wideband readings.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Cars with canned tunes?

Don't get a canned tune. I mean, if you're able to drop $1330 to get some fancy exhaust tips then a custom tune which would barely be any more money than a canned tune should be no problem.

I understand you get OTA pipes with the kit, no reason for them however, and the mufflers, but you can get the mufflers a lot cheaper elsewhere with normal tips...that's my reasoning behind my first comment. Not trying to sound like an ass

turbo

Established Member
Don't get a canned tune. I mean, if you're able to drop $1330 to get some fancy exhaust tips then a custom tune which would barely be any more money than a canned tune should be no problem.

I understand you get OTA pipes with the kit, no reason for them however, and the mufflers, but you can get the mufflers a lot cheaper elsewhere with normal tips...that's my reasoning behind my first comment. Not trying to sound like an ass

Did you read my comments at all?

Users who are viewing this thread