Supra or Terminator?

generalchaos

Established Member
I know your opinions will be a little biased, but im looking for everything I can.

My dsm is dead, whoda thunk that. But I plan on getting rid of it, getting a beater DD, and a nice car. As of right now im $3000 away from being able to afford a nice car in the $20-25 range.

Right now im stuck between a mkiv supra, or a terminator. c5 used to be on the list, but my buddy got a c6 and it just ruins the c5 for me.

anyways, both cars have goods and bads:

The supra is sweet, and a classic. However, paying 24,000 for a car with 115k miles on it isnt exactly good on the nerves. A lot of problems can come with it, no matter how bullet proof they supposedly are. The good news is they can be made fast for cheap, they are very unique, and a lot of people love them and they hold value. another downfall is they are race gas whores. the high milage bothers me the most because ive bought cars that end up being peices of shit before, and id rather not make the same mistake again with $25,000. I really like the fact that I can bolt on the basics and get tons of hp, mostly single turbo, fuel, tune, clutch, exhaust, and intake.

the 03 cobra really wouldnt be anything to me if it wasnt for the engine. good hp out of the box, supercharged so it will take mods easy, but everyone claims typical mustang build quality.....also lets not forget its still a mustang and ive never been a ford guy(03-04 cobra is the only one id ever buy personally), and the average idiot will think its a GT or just another fake (theres a million fake mustangs around here). the insurance will also probly be a bit higher since its a v8, supercharged, and called a mustang.........I also hate most of the people who drive mustangs, since a lot of them are ignorant idiots (no offence, but you have to know what im talking about) and dont want to be affiliated with them. The good thing though is I can find great ones with under 10-20k miles on them, and there are more to be found, so its not as bad of a scavanger hunt.

from lookin around here, gas milage sounds pretty bad. It also seems theres a 500rwhp barrier. What I mean by that is its really cheap to get to that 500rwhp mark, but after that a lot of problem arise. It sounds like a lot of the drivetrain has to be replaced so it doesnt break, and I read that ford didnt clearance the pistons enough because of noise so you need a shit load of cooling mods so they dont expand. Im also not really wanting to do internal work. ive done it before, and its a pain in my ass, and it will cost an arm and a leg to pay someone else to do it.

Sorry if this is a long read, I would appreciate your comments on this, as ive mostly got real facts/reasoning for the supra...and I want to see the other side of the story.

sprx19

Established Member
Well, I just bought an 04 Cobra and put me on the list on non Ford people who liked the 03-04 Cobra. I don't think the Supra will be nearly as cheap to get 500 whp, but after that it probably pretty even. (like I know anything, I just got mine :shrug: )

BlackSabbath

Established Member
There are pro's and con's to both. Keep in mind that you can still get an 04 Cobra used with a good amount of warranty left now. I happen to love the way the 03/04 Cobra's look and am not big on the Supra look.

Both can be made to go very fast. I would get the one that makes the most sense to you in terms of looks, reliability etc.

I understand your point about some Mustang owners but believe me there are just as many in any other car group. Plenty of great people on this board who are willing to help and answer questions.

Good luck.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
generalchaos said:
I also hate most of the people who drive mustangs, since a lot of them are ignorant idiots (no offence, but you have to know what im talking about) and dont want to be affiliated with them.

Then you don't want a cobra because all those "idiots" in GT's and V6s will come up to you and tell you how cool your cobra is and how they want one. We wouldn't want you to be a decent person and entertain them. :rollseyes

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
Narcosynthesis said:
Then you don't want a cobra because all those "idiots" in GT's and V6s will come up to you and tell you how cool your cobra is and how they want one. We wouldn't want you to be a decent person and entertain them. :rollseyes

+1 :kaboom:

Cornstang

Roll Tide Roll!
Established Member
Do you really need our opinion? Just get whatever makes you happy. I'm partial to the Terminator. I don't mind the Supra guys. They aren't a bunch of pansies like all the other ricers. Both cars will fit the bill nicely.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
generalchaos said:
. I also hate most of the people who drive mustangs, since a lot of them are ignorant idiots (no offence, but you have to know what im talking about) and dont want to be affiliated with them.
QUOTE]
Buy the Toyota. You don't want to waste your time associating with us ignorant idiots in case you might have a question about your Cobra.

FKNBAD03

Cobra

Well I was in your shoes about 16 months ago. I had been racing a DSM at the track for several years a decided that I wanted to purchase a nice street car. It was between a Supra and a Cobra. I however have always had friends that raced Mustangs. Anyway I went with a Cobra and weeks later my best friend bought a supra. With basic bolt ons we both ran 11.8's on drag radials and we have both spent equal amounts of money since. He is in the process of tuning his single turbo set up and I have alread dyno'd 611 WHP. And he will be the first to tell you that my car is much more streetable. I am a firm believer that motors stay together with good tunes and good fuel and have no fears of loosing my engine at this power level. But what I can honestly tell you is that even though I rarely post The terminator croud is a great bunch of people. Many of my friends still have imports and it allways seems like they are against one another. I can say that I am proud to drive my car everywhere I go. So my vote is on the Cobra.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
.........I also hate most of the people who drive mustangs, since a lot of them are ignorant idiots (no offence, but you have to know what im talking about) and dont want to be affiliated with them.

Get the Supra , you sound like someone I dont want to be affiliiated with. :kaboom:

stangfreak

Established Member
from mustangs to vettes to supras, there will always be ignorant peple, so that comment was really stupid to say and you wanted to get a cobra. get the supra, run 30+psi of boost like john force and be cool. just dont get mad when a tt cobra walks over you

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
What is a DSM?
Oh, and this is a great forum, I've been on it since I ordered my Cobra 2/7/02. Yes my first one was a POS but my second run 1st year is one sweet ride. Torque, don't underestimate a positive displacement blower. Pick what floats your boat.

cpu77

Armed and Dangerous!
Established Member
Tough call 9 months ago I would never had thought I would own one of these cars. It all started with a business trip and a VP giving me a ride in his vert. I got in the car and was not aware it was a supercharged cobra. THen I seen the SVT gauges and ask him if it was peppy! He replied yeah do u want me to show you. Next thing I know we are going balls out to 120mph between stop lights! Needless to say when I got back in town I tracked down a coupe and drove 4.5hours to get it. It did bother me it was a mustang. I personally do not care for the styling. Thats not why I bought it. The truth is I have owned alot of fast cars. Spent 10-of thousands trying to be happy. This is the first car I ever owned that does not dissappoint. I looked at supras to. Dollar for dollar I would rather have a very low mileage cobra over a 25k 115k mile supra. Supra has a bit more finesse. BTW seems like alot of really nice Mustang rednecks live in your area. So you should get to know lots of them if you buy one.

generalchaos

Established Member
mmm i probably shouldnt have made that comment, it seems to have made a few of you angry.

I have yet to run into a cobra owner that I have had a problem with, my real issue is a lot of the kids in GT's, and about half of the 5.0 guys ive talked,

Most people on this board seem like good people, however there are so many owners of the different kinds out there (especially around detroit), your still greatly out numbered. Have you all not run into one of these people im talking about?

And yes every crowd has ignorance, but the ones that take the cake to me tend to be mustang GT owners, so please dont take any of this the wrong way.

I think I need to get a ride in both of these cars so I can maybe see which ones I like better.

but I would say my main gripe is the pistons on the cobra...because I dont really want to do internal engine work again...and definately not on a newer car.

Silver03

Established Member
That was going to be my advice...driev them both and decide. I will tell you that 520 lb/ft of torque before 3200 RPM makes for a very fun car to drive on the street as well the track. You wont see that out of a Supra.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
DSM - Diamond Star Motors which was a joint venture between Mitsubishi and Chrysler ala 1G Lasers,Talon's & Eclipses and 2g Talons and Eclipses (not the ugly 3g which began in 2000). They came with one of the more stouter 4 cylinder engines out of the box made in the 4g63. A few of my local friends have awd 2g's making over 600whp on just boost. I have a 98 that is a fwd that makes 350 on pumpgas @20psi and 14 deg of timing. Nonetheless, they respond well to mods, but as with any car, the more power you make, the more problems you might have.

As for the question at hand, thats a tough call...I personally love the look of a supra, but like you said, it has high miles usually in the price range your looking for. You can't go wrong with a Cobra for the money and reliability, esp if your only looking to make around 500hp which is plenty good for low 120 traps. I just wish I had the money right now to turbo my cobra :) That is one thing the supra has going for it imo. I do like the interior of a supra alot better than my cobra..more of a ****pit feeling. Nonetheless, you can't go wrong with either.

Users who are viewing this thread