Surprised a C6 vette today

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I was heading north on an unnamed Parkway today after leaving my vacation spot. It was mid afternoon and traffic was pretty light but it was starting to bunch up as I got closer to a certain area.

After a weekend of partying I like to set the cruise control and relax knowing full well that traffic will definitely become stop and go a little further north.

As I'm cruising along at a leisurely 75mph an atomic orange C6 vette passes by me.
At that point I really couldn't care less but then he has the nerve to wave bye bye through the open top.

I got to wondering what kind of idiot waves bye to someone who's just cruising down the road minding their own business.
I then wanted to take a look and see for myself so I took off the cruise control and stepped on it to catch up.

I got behind him when he came up on a slow moving car but not close enough to be tailgaiting him.
At this point he cut over a lane and passed the car on the right once again waving bye.
Not 5 seconds later the car moved out of the way and since I was already in 3rd gear took off after him.
He then ran into another slow car in the left lane but he had no way around him this time so he waited for him to move.
Once the car was out of the way he put it to the floor and I followed.
To show him that I was clearly faster than him I let him open up a gap then I reeled him in and I still had to pedal the car to keep from running into him.

We repeated the same thing one more time before traffic became a problem.

About 10 miles later traffic came to a standstill and I ended up beside him. He was a middle aged man with his 20 something year old kid in the passenger seat.
I look at him and say maybe you'll be more careful next time you wave bye to someone.
Then he asks how much horsepower the car has followed by how fast it can run the quarter mile.
He then admits that I'm a lot quicker than him when I tell him that I ran an 11.1 with 50hp less than I have now.
At this point I'm figuring the guy's alright but not a second later comes the douch statement of the day "but it's only a Mustang".
I told him that he'd use the same excuse if he got beat by anything other than another vette since the same arguement can be used if he got beat by a Ferrari.
I didn't want to get into the whole overcompensating arguement with the guy and his son in the middle of stop and go traffic so I let it go.

Last edited:

black napkin

Established Member
i hate ppl like that. i think any fast car is cool. im not bias to what car it is. good thing u beat him. at the least he knows he was beat by " just a mustang ". nice run

Kiohtee

Established Member
"But it's only a Mustang."

When comments like this are made AFTER you beat someone, remind them they were beat in their $45k car (assuming a new Z06) by 'just a Mustang'. Good 'kill'.

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
"But it's only a Mustang."

When comments like this are made AFTER you beat someone, remind them they were beat in their $45k car (assuming a new Z06) by 'just a Mustang'. Good 'kill'.
What new Z06 is 45K? I'll take 3 at that price...

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Yeah the same thing happens here. I drug a Z06. Get to the spot and he pulls in and sees the car. Asks how much HP does it make then says not to bad for a Mustang. Told him yeah I'd be pretty dissappointed if I was to lose in a Vette. Makes the money that I spent seem wasted.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
Good kill but guy the seemlike a prick..He went home with a bruised ego.

LOL @ the price comments again . *Stupid

Grabber07'

Established Member
We have a few of those type of corvette owners around here as well, but not all are bad. My good friend has an Arctic White C6, but would trade it today for a clone of his 88 GT Vert from High School. He concedes that I would peel the paint off his car if we were to run them.

Last edited:

SuperRok

Established Member
Yeah the same thing happens here. I drug a Z06. Get to the spot and he pulls in and sees the car. Asks how much HP does it make then says not to bad for a Mustang. Told him yeah I'd be pretty dissappointed if I was to lose in a Vette. Makes the money that I spent seem wasted.

Why? You lost to an automatic bolt-on Mustang GT. Just kidding man. I know shit happens.:poke:

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Op...nice beat down on the Vette with your "inferior" Mustang.:-D.

Not everyone can afford expensive cars like the Z06's, Ferrari, or Porches...maybe some could, but decide on putting other priorities first, like a mortgage or a child's college education.
However, what even things out is the fact that we could buy a decently fast car like a Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger for not to much money and mod the shit out of it. Performance parts are pretty affordable today and the sky is the limit. The best part though is the feeling that you get when you beat a more expensive car and you took part in the picking of the parts, buying the parts with hard-earned money and installing them yourself (in most cases). It is enough to put a smile on you face from end to end! :D

exdeath

Established Member
Typical. Bet he "had his mechanic add a K&N and now it has 50 more HP" too.

Also I love it when some douche in a subdivision driveway queen (parks a car like a Corvette in the visible driveway instead of the empty garage) is driving not only a base plane jane Corvette, but also a convertible, which is lower than a coupe in any real enthusiasts eyes, makes it a point to call your car a "mustang" and intentionally avoids saying Cobra or whatever so as to make his car sound better and yours lower. Because you know damn well if the same douche had a Z06 he'd always say Z or Z06 and not just 'vette, but he'd still call your 700 HP Terminator Cobra or Shelby GT500 a lowercase "mustang".

Can't stand that crowd. Alot of it around here due to Tucson being a retiree snow bird retreat. Base stock C6 Corvettes are dime a dozen around here, about as common as 328i BMWs. Dare I say *both* poser mobiles are more common than even Mustangs.

I've had to start telling people my crank HP so they shut up. Because if I give them my WHP, they spout off about how they have 505 HP (because the emblem and brochure saiz so gaiz) and it's close with only ~100 HP diff and they can take me. :rollseyes:rollseyes:rollseyes:rollseyes

Even had one dude trying to convince me his Grand Sport was a Z06 with 505 HP (they look similar to the untrained eye). Do people who can't afford Z06s buy GSs so they can look like they have a Z06 or something?

I really do like all cars, and love how an American icon pisses off the Euros by beating them with "pushrods and leaf springs" at 1/3 the price, but Corvettes have this stigma to me. Most of the owners have their noses taped to their foreheads and all I ever see in my area are dozens of stock C6s parking themselves next to peoples beaters or a 2012 Corvette with temp tags parked next to a 2011 Corvette with temp tags. :rollseyes:rollseyes:rollseyes:rollseyes Talking to these guys is worse than pulling teeth, it's like anything you say about anything they have to 1 up somehow. If your garbage man shows up at 7:00am, theirs always shows up at 6:59am Grow the fawk up.

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I like vettes but I understand they are NOT supercars. ZR1 is a great car especially for the money.

But a run of the mill C5/C6 is nothing special.

I used to have a 2006 S 197..."friend" had a 2000 C5 VERT with a LS1. He gave me the "it's only a Mustang comment".

He paid $22 K for his supercar. He didn't even know what type of engine or horse power he had. Assumed he could beat my car because it was a Mustang.

Vettes owners are some of the most ignorant car people I have ever met.

SVTP obviously is the exception with a lot of knowledgeable Vette owners but seems most of them had a Mustang at some point.

JoeyR

omgwtfhax
Established Member
not sure where you guy's are getting this 45g for a new Z06 idea, but at least in my area and the dealership i work at, the last few C6 Z06's we have had, after all the Fees/Taxes/DMV fees,ect ect,ect, for a Z06 with premium wheels, navigation, heads up display, On-Star, and all other goodies, sticker price from GM is $95,000. Hell the new Grand Sport is well over $55,000
P.S. Yes i work at a GM dealership and drive a Ford =]

Last edited:

650 PLUS

Another 9 second street car...
Established Member
Great job OP !

Here is a post some-one put on one of my YouTube vids racing a ZR1 corvette....

Check facts here- fastestlaps do t com track2 do t html Sorry,Mustang fans,but that's just the facts of life.I've owned two Mustangs,but as my income grows,I look to better vehicles for my kicks.Fanboys just stick with what is in their reach,but winners extend their reach.The Mustang is pretty damm good value,but will never be world class,unless they lower the center of gravity, and give it a fully independant rear axle. It's a cookie-cutter volume product, aimed at the lower and middle classes

I guess if we own a Mustang we're all a bunch of low class losers :bs:

JoeyR

omgwtfhax
Established Member
That is to a degree a very good point. But myself , growing up I've always liked Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, Mclaren's. BUT Regardless of those high end exotic cars, my love for Viper's & Mustang's can't be touched. Some people grow up loving a certain cars, for instance i know a lot of people who would take a cherry 69 Camaro SS over any currently produced vehicle including those high end exotics. To a lot of people it's not only about speed, but leans more tword personal taste. My dream car growing up was always a Viper GTS Coupe, i would to this day have it over any other produced car =D. As far as fan boy's go........well they can just light themselves on fire and die. They ruin the car world.

P.S. When i say personal taste, that is NOT a taste that has grown on someone. A personal taste is something that to an individual appeals to them from the get go. Most Fan Boys start with something shitty then decide to try and make it "COOL" and "FAST" and it grows on them till mentally its the coolest and best car ever made!...i have a friend like this. That kind of mentality pisses me off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread