Surprized (sort of) by a 2002 Maxima

Romans8:28

Established Member
It was NOT a race, just an little chase........

I was cruising down a highway doing maybe 60mph when a 02 maxima blows by doing close to 90....... nice looking girl at the wheel so I gradually roll into the throttle (6 sixth gear no downshift) and slowly speed up to about the same speed. She takes the next exit (a very tight right hand clover leaf) and she is squealing tires most of the way down. I close right up behind her thanks to the better handing in the Cobra......

She darts out infront of traffic making her left and I figure thats it because I had to wait 30 seconds or more to make my left..... anyway I make my turn and then another quick left on my way home. A mile or so up the road I come up behind her again because she had caught much slower trafic and could not pass. For the next few stops and turns I am trailing about 100 yards behind. She must have thought I was deliberately following, but I was simply going the same route.

Anyway, on to the "surprize".......... she signals another left, and it's a hard left that requires you to all but stop to complete the turn. I am right behind her through the turn. Well at that point she must go WOT, because she spins the tires in the loose stuff and I see the car squat a little and really take off. Anyway it took about 3/4 throttle to keep up to around 85 mph (but I was not power shifting, I was letting off for shifts to second and third).

I was very surprized to see that car accelerate that well

SVTBMG

Banned
The new 3.5's are even better on the highway. I had one behind me a few days ago. I hit in 5th at 90 and he was on it before i hit it and I pulled away from him slowely. Then from 4th I hit it and I pulled away much harder but it was doing pretty well. Some of these newer cars are real highway cars like MErcedes and BMW's. I do have to say that it was 95 degrees out and the engine was very heatsoaked so I was not making full boost. I was only gettin 11lbs in 4th.I usually get 13. We all know how our cars run when it is hot and heatsoaked:rolleyes:

blinelaxd27

Established Member
a well driven 02-03 maxima 6spd can run around 14.3 stock so they aren't that slow... i used to own a maxima

Romans8:28

Established Member
blinelaxd27 said:
a well driven 02-03 maxima 6spd can run around 14.3 stock so they aren't that slow... i used to own a maxima

Intresting....... had no idea that they were that quick, 14.3 is respectable for a sedan like that. No wonder I had to work some to keep up after she made a jump

bmfgsxr

Established Member
i traded in an 03 altima with 5 spd. for my lightning.. the 3.5 motor put out 245hp and 246tq.. thats really damn good for a 6cyl. 4dr family car.. they run harder than most people realize. not that they are speed demons, but they are quick. i know guys who posted time slips of running 14.1's in bone stock altimas.. i also ran my alti up to 145mph and climbing a few times and thats pretty quick.

now the older gen altima's are dogs.. and the 02/03 maximas are quick, but not as fast as the new gen's.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/maxima+compilation/0/b4b2aac2-c42b-4e81-ba18-f0eade77a2fc.htm

^ Check the races against the pullied GTP. They also launch pretty good for a FWD car with relatively a lot of TQ.

The best I've heard of bone stock is 14.1, and with minor mods, they are capable of high 13's, although they hang with lower ET cars on the freeway. It's also pissed off many a 5.0 and pre-1999 Mustang GT that isn't beyond mildly modded.

BTW, here's a vid I made of my daily driver, on my way to work at about 4am, one morning: http://youtube.com/watch?v=4qPlAE1Ij4A

That was shot with a camera phone sitting on top of the steering column/ledge in front of the speedo. It says a lot about the cars stability on the freeway.

Last edited:

smokey

Established Member
bmfgsxr said:
and the 02/03 maximas are quick, but not as fast as the new gen's.

Actually, the 255hp 02/03's are the fastest gen Maxima you can get. Even though its giving up 10hp to the 05-06 (new gen) they have the option of a 6 speed manual tranny which gives them better gearing and they weigh less. You can pull 14.1s out of a bone stock 02/03, but the new gens only come in autos and can only hit mid 14s at best. A 5sp 3.5 Alty is faster than the new gen Maxima as well.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Despite the rating differences, 2004 to 2007 Maximas have the exact same motor as the 2002-2003 Maximas. From 2002 to 2006, Maximas were available with 6-speeds, but the 2004+ Maximas, are on the average, about 200 lbs. heavier than the 2002's-2003's.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
The G35 sedan I just got rolls out pretty well with that 3.5L. I like the fact that its RWD too.

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
carrrnuttt said:
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/maxima+compilation/0/b4b2aac2-c42b-4e81-ba18-f0eade77a2fc.htm

^ Check the races against the pullied GTP. They also launch pretty good for a FWD car with relatively a lot of TQ.

The best I've heard of bone stock is 14.1, and with minor mods, they are capable of high 13's, although they hang with lower ET cars on the freeway. It's also pissed off many a 5.0 and pre-1999 Mustang GT that isn't beyond mildly modded.

BTW, here's a vid I made of my daily driver, on my way to work at about 4am, one morning: http://youtube.com/watch?v=4qPlAE1Ij4A

That was shot with a camera phone sitting on top of the steering column/ledge in front of the speedo. It says a lot about the cars stability on the freeway.

Very true.

However my 91 bone stock GT convertible (albeit flowmasters and free mods) beat my boys 03 6spd 3.5 from a stop and a roll (Tombojangles on here), and with 3 people in my car and the top down I took a Altima SER 5spd from a 40 roll (he had a fully loaded car though).

Thats why its the street though. Anything can happen but my car had WAAAY worse gearing, less hp, more weight, and worse aero's, but can't argue from a roll. I doubt my car ran 14.3 though, but I could launch that car from 4k and dead hook.(Posi actually worked :D ).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread