Suspension Experts/Spring Experts

SlwSVT

Established Member
Hey guys,

I have a strange, strange problem. A month or so, I was out playing hard and completely lost control of my Shelby from a second gear roll. I hit the top of 2nd and heard a loud bang. The next thing I know, I was veering left out of control. Luckily I finally got control of her. I thought I had blew out my rear drag radial. No blowout. My whole rear end on the passenger side was shifted back and rubbing on the fender. My rear right re location bracket bent and that was what made the rear end shift.

My buddies shop rebuilt the rear end. New Auburn diff, new Richmond gears, 12 way adjustable struts, one piece Lethal DS and a new upper control arm set pinon angle. My buddy takes the car out today and is hitting hard from 1st to 2nd. He hears a bang and low and behold when he lefts off the gas he his going sideways. Went off road and hit a barbed wire fence. We are completely stumped as to what is going on. He jacked up the car and everything looks fine under the car.

Now, I did a search and realized that my rear springs may be installed upside down. I personally installed those when I first got the car and installed them the same way that the rear stock ones came out. I did not have problems for quite sometime. But, now that we have unleased the beast (3.4 Whipple with 700rwhp) she has made a loud banged and veered out of control twice on us. I originally thought the rear re location bracket could have failed. But with the new set fully welded on both sides, they are intact and fine after this last episode. Could it be the springs upside down binding and then maybe popping out? Has anyone had a problem similar to this and have suggestions?

Sorry about the long post.

Thanks,
Mike

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Hey guys,

I have a strange, strange problem. A month or so, I was out playing hard and completely lost control of my Shelby from a second gear roll. I hit the top of 2nd and heard a loud bang. The next thing I know, I was veering left out of control. Luckily I finally got control of her. I thought I had blew out my rear drag radial. No blowout. My whole rear end on the passenger side was shifted back and rubbing on the fender. My rear right re location bracket bent and that was what made the rear end shift.

My buddies shop rebuilt the rear end. New Auburn diff, new Richmond gears, 12 way adjustable struts, one piece Lethal DS and a new upper control arm set pinon angle. My buddy takes the car out today and is hitting hard from 1st to 2nd. He hears a bang and low and behold when he lefts off the gas he his going sideways. Went off road and hit a barbed wire fence. We are completely stumped as to what is going on. He jacked up the car and everything looks fine under the car.

Now, I did a search and realized that my rear springs may be installed upside down. I personally installed those when I first got the car and installed them the same way that the rear stock ones came out. I did not have problems for quite sometime. But, now that we have unleased the beast (3.4 Whipple with 700rwhp) she has made a loud banged and veered out of control twice on us. I originally thought the rear re location bracket could have failed. But with the new set fully welded on both sides, they are intact and fine after this last episode. Could it be the springs upside down binding and then maybe popping out? Has anyone had a problem similar to this and have suggestions?

Sorry about the long post.

Thanks,
Mike

Are you still using the factory LCA's? If so, you need to swap them out to something with stiffer bushings and/or rod ends. My car was real squirrely until I swapped mine out. I have a poly/rod end set and my car tracks nice and straight.

If the car is veering off to the same side all the time, you may need adjustable LCA's to line things up since you're using relocation brackets. Some cars like mine have different front LCA bucket heights and the geometry is thrown off when adding the brackets, especially when using the lower holes.

BTW, I'm no expert.

Mike

Last edited:

Leonard 95

Established Member
Here is my opinion, if something is shifting the rear end it could really be only 3 things. Your relocation bracket folding over, you lower control arm bushings worn out/loose, or your upper control arm bushings worn out/loose.

Also check your panhard bar, that could make it shift also. You have a bushing problem somewhere.

Last edited:

SlwSVT

Established Member
Everything is changed out on the car with less then 2k miles. Aftermarket LCA, upper, aftermarket panhard bar, Auburn diff, one piece DS etc. This a violent hit, you actually hear a loud bang and the car veers out of control left.

Users who are viewing this thread