Suspension overhall 2010 GT500 high mileage

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
I bought a few suspension pieces for my dads birthday in january. Bilstein HD Shocks, Steeda Bumpsteer kit, Steeda Ball joints, and he bought the shelby rear shock tower brace bar. I just won a set of Koni adjustable struts off ebay brand new, and I had a few questions. Is it okay to mixmatch bilstein and koni? The koni struts was a good deal so I couldn't pass it up. I'm not sure on what lowering springs to get if any since he might not want to lower the car a lot. The Shelby has 140k miles (DD since september 2009), anything else I may want to replace? I'm also going to buy the Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates. Are his strut mounts good? They seem cheap at 100 a pair, wasn't sure if i should consider replacing those. Any other tips or advice are welcomed. Thank you! :beer:

Last edited:

azc0bra

Established Member
That's impressive mileage, glad you bought one to drive and not rot away in a garage!

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
Well he got new strut mounts and I'll be ordering mm plates soon. once these mods go on he's looking at another car for a DD and parking this one in the garage. We will see. He's had a few issues with the car over heating and the fan relay having been replacing 2 or 3 times. For whatever reason the harness has melted inside and caused the fan to not kick on and in traffic or slow driving the car would shoot up in temperature. The first replacement was a China unit and that didn't last for more than a month so he got a Ford replacement. The rear end is whining a bit now so it might need a rebuild out back. Besides that the car hasn't been of any issue. Motor is still healthy.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Rear end rebuild is cheap and easy. I'm surprised those clutch packs have lasted this long. So he's ordering new strut mounts AND the MM plates? Don't the MM plates replace the strut mounts? He will be more than fine with just the GT500 mounts

barspen

Established Member
So he's ordering new strut mounts AND the MM plates? Don't the MM plates replace the strut mounts? He will be more than fine with just the GT500 mounts

Correct...MM Plates do replace the strut mounts...you cant use both. CC plates are nice if you are lowered or road race and want to dial in the alignment.

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
Correct...MM Plates do replace the strut mounts...you cant use both. CC plates are nice if you are lowered or road race and want to dial in the alignment.

Thanks guys I didn't know that. :read: I guess we will stick with the GT500 mounts and I won't buy the CC plates. Now I feel stupid. But I'm glad to save the $300 dollars now.

Users who are viewing this thread