Suspension overhaul

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
I bit the bullet and bought the FTBR kit, h&r sport springs, viking double adjustable shocks and strange 10 way struts for the car.
The car is a 99 with around 50k miles on it. Feels like a totally different car, its amazing.

First off the FTBR kit is excellent. I knew it would be a big undertaking in the driveway and garage but well worth it. I followed bruces instructions and videos. They were very clear and easy to follow. It was crazy how bound up the stock rubber bushings made everything. I could barely get the control arms to move, much less move freely. A good impact and air compressor set up really made the job alot easier, and saved my forearms. Putting the bushings in the freezer helped install as well. The hardest part for me was just getting the UCA bushings cut. I also didnt have a sanding wheel so i just used a small hand chisel to get the weld spatter off and then just some 80 grit sandpaper to get the job done. For me reinstalling the IRS in the driveway with 2 floor jacks was really the hardest part of the install. I will say that i have the hard launch front/lower dif brace on my rear so i only used 5 of the 6 washers.

The viking shocks are excellent quality and a work of art. Too bad you will never see them. Adjustment is easy as well the only complaint was i had to use the lower metal sleeve from the original shock as they didnt come with new ones. No big deal, just took a couple of minutes to press them out and cut them to size for the vikings.

The Strange 10 way struts are great too, you can easily tell the difference in the settings. Mine do NOT make noise like others claim. They are paired with MM cc plates.

The hr sport springs gave the car a nice stance as well.

Overall thoughts and impressions are great. The rear end feel so solid and smooth, moves free and is incredibly responsive. No clunk whatsoever. As far as NVH I dont have a good opinion since i have LT, o/r prochamber, stingers, and the whine from d1. Taking turns never felt so solid. I know exactly what the rear is going to do now. Straight line is amazing too. I completely recommend the kit and all of these parts. Just take your time with the install and things will be great. I also recommend the viking shocks, for the money idk if they can be beat.

What are you waiting for, get the ftbr kit!!!!

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
I have been wanting to do the FTBR kit for a while. I hear nothing but good things about them.

DHG4410

Established Member
FTBR kit is one of the best upgrades. I did mine in the garage as well and also with Bruce's help worked through the issues. A year later I purchased 04 pumpkin, axles, rebuilt the traction lock and added 410 gears money well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread