Suspension Problem

SVT1999

Livin' Life
Established Member
Well the issue is i have a knocking noise when i hit bumps. Or sometimes bumpy pavement. It is more when I am on bad roads than just a single bump like a speed bump. It sounds like the strut towers are clunking really bad. I have the car lowered with Eibach springs and Bilstein Struts/shocks. The car has 130k miles on it and is driven daily. Could it be steering bushings? Bad strut? Some kind of bushing not installed with the CC plate? I am not a very mechanically inclined person but understand the basics, so please no big fancy terms when replying back ,LOL.
It just sounds so solid when it hits. It feels like it might break something. So far 2 different mechanics have not been able to hear the noise.

ANY ADVISE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

VNEMUS

Established Member
It could be one of several different things, some of which you mentioned. The only way you are going to find out is to check it out. I would jack up each side of the front end and with the wheels on, grab ahold of them and check for play.

Side to side play usually means the outer tie rod is bad. Up and down play usually means a worn ball joint. Remove the front wheels and visually inspect the tie rods and ball joints for play. While you're there, visually inspect the control arm bushings to see if the rubber is chunked up. You should do the same for the steering rack bushings as well. Make sure that steering rack bolts are tight. Visually check your struts to see if there are any leaks. Inspect those sway bar end link bushings too. If all those things check out fine, it could also be a worn wheel bearing, in which you would also feel play in the wheel. With a flat head screw driver, pry the rubber axle dust cover off and get a 35mm socket and re-torque the nut to 250 ft/lbs.

Since you mentioned your car was lowered with the Eibach lowering springs, Do you know if you still have the isolators? I'm also wondering if you have the Steeda X2 ball joints? Without the X2s on a spring-kit-only-lowered-car, you'll end up wearing out the ball joints faster. Worn ball joint(s) is my guess. Let us know what you find.:beer:

Last edited:

71catruck

Established Member
i have a knocking sound coming from the front of my car to. some one on here said it might be that the strut is a little smaller then the bearing on my after market CC plates. does your car have stock or after market CC plates? they said some one had i nyloin bushing made and that fixed it.

SVT1999

Livin' Life
Established Member
i have MM cc plates... with the bilstiens struts from an 04 cobra... i really think the issue is somewhere in the strut/cc plate area... i am going to try to get a good look at it on sunday or monday this week. i will post up what i find if anything.
thanks for the help guys

BlueVenom01

Established Member
Or its the fenders trying to shake the bra off.

+1...had that front end rattle too when going over bumps...turns out my pass side fender was pretty loose...tightened it up and the noise was gone.

just something to check that is simple and costs nothing except a little time

SVT1999

Livin' Life
Established Member
i did check the fenders. I have great hope that it was going to be that easy.... NOPE! Anyways I am heaed to Ford in the morning to see if they can find it... I doubt they will, and i am sure they will charge me $100 anyways. Is it possible it could be the rack? I am going to have them inspect the rack b/c i found a video on yourtube of the exact noise and it was the guys steering rack. I do have some play in the steering wheel. I will post what they find, if they find anything.

SVT1999

Livin' Life
Established Member
well $85 and they find nothing... they brought it for a test drive and of course it wasnt making the noise....WTF! They looked underneath and said everything looked good except that mu lower steering rack looks a little worn,so that may be the play i have in the wheel, but it isnt my noise. So i am going to put a camcorder in the car and next time it starts up i am going to record it and bring it back to them.

Bite Me

Established Member
Haha, shit man ford isnt going to do you much good with aftermarket parts.

What all did you get with the struts/CC plates? You should have a few bushings and boots you need for the install of the plates and struts.

If you didnt have the problem before the install, then your problem is with what you installed, or a bolt not being tight after the install. I would recheck the bolts you removed, recheck that you put on the necessary parts for the install also.

Did you get the CC plates for the 03/04 cobra, or did you get the 99-04? They are a bit different, I was thinking MM told me something wasnt included with the terminator kit cause it was already there.....something else to think about.

SVT1999

Livin' Life
Established Member
I ahve MM C&C plates with bilstien struts. I had all the work done by a shop kind of local so I don't know if there were any "left over parts". I rechecked all the bolts and everything is tight. I also thought that maybe I am missing a bushing. Is that something i would be able to tell by looking at it? where does the bushing fit?
thank

Users who are viewing this thread