suspension quesions

Gstick

Established Member
I have a 2007 GT with 6700 miles on it. The front end is not lowered at all, but the rear is lowered with Roush springs, so the car sits perfectly level. I put the J&M "extreme joint" lower & adjustable upper control arms (with new J&M mounting bracket) when I had the 1 piece aluminum DSS, and FRPP 3.73 ring/pinion gears installed. When I go over bumps, I hear clunking in the rear of the car, and have been told this is the "nature of the beast" with the extreme joint control arms. Are the "extreme joint" control arms truly why I hear the clunking sound ? The car also has an adjustable panhard rod. (I believe that it is made by J&M also)

Would a "heavy duty" aftermarket panhard support bar eliminate the clunking noises from the rear ?

If I were to change to a Whiteline Rear Watts Link System, (eliminating the adjustable panhard rod) would that eliminate the clunking noises ?

I don't "track" the car at all, it is purely a street car, so would there be any benefit at all if I change over to the Whiteline Rear Watts Link ?

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I just checked out those control arms on Latemodel's website... they are they type that has bushings on both ends, so I don't see why they would introduce much NVH let alone clunking sounds. I'm wondering if something is loose with the upper control arm or bracket?

one other thing I could check is your shifter to driveshaft clearance. What kind of shifter do you have? Lowered S197's with one-piece driveshafts can sometimes have clearance issues with certain shifters.

Users who are viewing this thread