Suspension Question

1998Venom

Established Member
I'm getting tired of hearing the squeaks of the stock suspension (approx 80K miles on it), and have decided to upgrade. The vast majority of my driving is street, with very limited strip and no track. I'm looking for improved handling and cornering, without a seriously harsh ride.

I'm curious as to your specific setups and comments on what would be the recommended upgrades, as well as whether I would have better success piecing together my new suspension from various companies, or purchasing packages from Kenny Brown, Steeda, Maximum Motorsports, etc.

GreenCobra

Established Member
I have installed an great new suspension system on my 97. Its a combination of the EIbach Pro-Street (brand new) Coil over Kit and Hotchkiss rear upper and lower control arms. MM caster / camber plates. Koenig Villan 17 x 9 wheels and Bridgestone RE 750's. And Polygraphite bushings on the sway bar. We also scaled the car to be sure of equal weight on all the corners.

The difference is amazing. It dropped the car 1.5 inches and eliminated the snap steer. Corners FLAT and turn in is super.
On most roads the ride is fine-a little rough on crappy roads.

It is one of the best handeling cars I've ever been in.

E-mail me if you want more details.

Last edited:

hobbstc

Established Member
If 14 people answer, you'll get 14 different answers. Here's my advice. First, find out what you want the car to do. Street ride, open track, drags, whatever. Then find people with different brands of suspension systems that are near you and ride in them. Find the one you like the best and fits in your budget and go with it. Also, try to stick with one brand for your parts. Most are designed to work as a kit together.

Now, I went with a full Steeda setup. I am mostly street cruiser with limited opentrack and an occasional drag strip trip. So I was looking for comfort as well as balls-out handling.

I ended up with the Steeda Superlite springs, 4bolt CC plates, X2 balljoints, offset a-arm bushings, bumpsteer kit, aluminum center-drilled rack bushings, Tokico Illumina shocks and struts, aluminum LCAs and the heavy duty uppers.

I feel that I got exactly what I set out to achieve, which is a fricking awesome handling car that still is streetable. It was desinged as a package and works together great.

Just my $0.02

Users who are viewing this thread